Does anyone use a Vintage bottle capper?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't but I am looking in the antique stores around here occasionally.

One thing that stands out to me is $17.59 in shipping cost is outrageous. I am sure that it will be different for your address, but that is nearly the total cost of a new bench capper online.

Check locally for anyone that might have one in an old barn or storage shed.

If you are after the antique quality of it, I understand. That is why I am looking as well. I just don't like the shipping amount.

Good luck looking tho.

Wow, you were right about the shipping. I competely forgot to check that it is 18.75 to me! That is high.

It seemed like a good idea, but I am not sure it is worth it just to get an antique.

I've got that same one. Just keep watching and you will pick one up on ebay for less than $15.00 with shipping.

It works great on everything except the tallest and shortest of bottles. The tiny bottles I just use a small block of wood under it to get the pinch on em :)

I dont know about the shipping. I just sent a bunch of hops out and I was amazed at the shipping costs. 2lbs packags 10-15 bucks to ship via fedex, UPS was worse.

Thanks MixnMatchBrew, I am going to keep looking. I am glad to hear from someone who has used one of these. There seems to be plenty of them on ebay, so maybe I will luck out and get one with better shipping.

I got one similar to that for five bucks at a flea market.
I tried using it a couple times but it was a PITA.
I have all different size bottles and trying to adjust the height of the capper was a real hassle. I just use my wing capper.

I found several just like this on ebay and was wondering if anyone has used one of these?

Vintage Metal Bottle Capper - eBay (item 120301074197 end time Sep-09-08 06:47:07 PDT)

I would like a bench capper and the price is right on these.

Thanks for the info!!

I have one. It works fine. There is no magnet to hold the cap, and it can be a little fiddly until you get used to it. It's basic and functional.......Better still, mine was a gift from my equally vintage MIL, so it was free! ;)

I got one of those from ebay for fifty cents. I forget what the shipping cost. It works ok but it's a little too snug around the caps. I have to wriggle the bottles out of the capper. I only use my wing capper now.

I assume the one we had like that is still kicking around my brother's house.

MHO - spend $29 on a Colanna bench capper and be set. Much better.

capper-colonna.jpg

I got one of those old cappers from a friend who made wine and it works very good. Sometimes the cap is on too tight and you have to pull the bottle off the capper, but it works very well.

The capper above looks like a cheap plastic capper that might actually work pretty good too! Easy to adjust the height on it...

Back