Developing new carboy cover, any interest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoxedBrew

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am thinking about having a new carboy cover made. Think of it like a giant neoprene coozie. Is that something you would use? I've tried a few types, and I think neoprene might be the best option but I don't see it out there. Wanted to get some thoughts! Thanks!

Would this cover be used for more than just storage?

An insulating material like neoprene seems like it'd make temperature control difficult...

Cheers!

Here are my thoughts. 1, create something that keeps light out. 2, make it easy to clean. 3, add heavy duty straps for carboy mobility.

I don't know how much the neoprene would change temp regulation, but that would be a good thing to test. Maybe it depends on the thickness of the material?

I guess I literally think of it like a giant zip-up coozie.

Something like that, yes. Maybe not quite that thick, but still durable. My guess is you'd need something that thick to support heavy duty handles. Is this something you guys would use, or am I overthinking it (i.e. just throw a sheet around it).

years ago my mother-in-law made me some draw string bags to cover them to keep light off them. So, I use those and also use t-shirts from the rag bin to cover if the bags are being cleaned or if I have another one to cover.

Not stronge enough to carry the carboy but I have handles on most of them and the wife got me a carboy hauler strap thing for the 6.5 gal one.

Not saying this is a bad idea at all, just wondering if its worth what it will end up costing.

Back