Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Copper manifold for 10 gal Rubbermaid cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2011, 11:49 PM   #11
JetSmooth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Would there be any advantage to an octagon made with 45 degree elbows, so it's more "round". Or would that just be more expensive due to the additional hardware?

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2011, 11:59 PM   #12
topend
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSmooth
Would there be any advantage to an octagon made with 45 degree elbows, so it's more "round". Or would that just be more expensive due to the additional hardware?
That's exactly what I have, but mine is made with cpvc and fits differently than shown in this post. Works amazingly. If anyone wants more info, I can start a new thread.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:51 AM   #13
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by topend View Post
That's exactly what I have, but mine is made with cpvc and fits differently than shown in this post. Works amazingly. If anyone wants more info, I can start a new thread.
I'd be interested in checking it out.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:28 AM   #14
discooby
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I brewed the other day and got a stuck sparge; after blowing into the silicon hose (and through the kettle screen) the end of the screen floated up to the top… this has been a headache from day one when trying to mix over 22lbs+ of crushed grain with a paddle and constantly hitting the screen. Anyway, after cleaning up the screen looked like this:

manifold1.jpg

Piece of *&$@!!!! But in darkness, as always, I turned to HBT for light and with the help from others I made this:

manifold2.jpg
manifold3.jpg
manifold4.jpg

I used a dremel tool to cut the slits (used two 1/32 cutting wheels sandwiched together) and was going to solder but after testing it the pieces are air tight.

It fits snug in my 10g round cooler and my dead space went from 0.4 gallons to 0.078 gallons (or 1 ¼ cup)!!! Awesome! Thanks HBT and HBT members!

Now, does anyone know how to remove the burs that are inside the ½ inch copper pipe???

Old 01-19-2012, 01:36 AM   #15
mccumath
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by discooby
Now, does anyone know how to remove the burs that are inside the ½ inch copper pipe???
Burrs on the inside of a copper pipe... Ah yes, here is how I got them out. I used a 12 or 20 gauge (pretty sure 20ga, but check your copper tubing size) shotgun cleaning brush (the stiff, prickly wire ones) on my drill, and ran it through the copper pieces before soldering, Worked like a charm, but ruins the cleaning brush.

Hope this helps!
Ryan M.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:49 AM   #16
discooby
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccumath View Post
Burrs on the inside of a copper pipe... Ah yes, here is how I got them out. I used a 12 or 20 gauge (pretty sure 20ga, but check your copper tubing size) shotgun cleaning brush (the stiff, prickly wire ones) on my drill, and ran it through the copper pieces before soldering, Worked like a charm, but ruins the cleaning brush.

Hope this helps!
Ryan M.
That's a good idea! Would have saved me several hours using a rat tail file

Old 06-09-2012, 02:03 AM   #17
discooby
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I had some requests for the dimensions for my manifold… here they are. It’s a pretty tight fit in the cooler (10gal round Rubbermaid); you need to apply some pressure to get it to seat on the bottom. I like it like that, it hasn’t moved at all while stirring. It’s not tight enough to damage the cooler though… but +1/8” on one of the pieces might make it impossible to seat.

manifoldnumbered2.jpg

1. 1 7/8”
2. 3”
3. 1 7/8”
4. 8 ¼”
5. 3 13/16”
6. 3 13/16”
7. 8 ¼”
8. 3 13/16”
9. 1 1/8”
10. 1 1/8”
11. 3 1/8”
12. 3 13/16”
13. 1 7/8”
14. 3”
15. 1 7/8”

nibco-half-copper-adapter.jpg
(NIBCO 1/2 in. Copper Adapter)

Copper pipe: ½” X 5’ (I believe I got away with using just one 5’ piece… i.e., I didn’t make any mistakes).
Copper elbows: 4
Copper T’s: 7
Project fun: 10+

Note that this manifold uses over 4’ of copper therefore it might make sense to get two ½” x 5’ lengths of copper in case you make a mistake (save a trip back to HD). The high-temp silicon tubing is cut to fit. Attached to the inside bulkhead is a copper female hose fitting (NIBCO ½ in. Copper Adapter… see pic) along with a short piece of pipe so that the silicon tubing slips over it.

Also, a rat-tail file worked great to remove all the burs (I picked up the “Husky 10-piece File Set“ from HD for $10.97… a steal!)

manifold2.jpg
manifold4.jpg

Old 10-16-2012, 12:29 AM   #18
hungry4hops
Hop to it!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 243

just made one of these before i even attempt all-grain! ive never had a stuck sparge and i dont want to (they scare me!) thanks fo letting me steal your idea Bitterbrush!

Old 10-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #19
sar_dog_1
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sweet. gonna make one next week. I made a false bottom on a water jet machine but I could not get the "dome" shape and it is horrible. After several attempts, I am giving up and going with this manifold. Sounds like I may have a winner!

Old 10-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #20
LovesIPA
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSmooth View Post
That's exactly what I ended up doing with mine. It works great. I typically get around 85% - 90% efficiency. I drilled 1/8" holes in it rather than use a hacksaw or dremel.
img_1457.jpg  

Immature: A word boring people use to describe fun people

Quick Reply