The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Can I mark my SS kettle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
doublebogey10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Can I mark my SS kettle?

Hi, hopefully a simple question and I think I know the answer, but looking for reassurance.
I have a 10-gal stainless steel brew kettle. Nothing fancy -- no valve or thermometer or measuring marks. When it comes to the latter, is it OK for me to take a Sharpie and mark off gallon increments so I know the levels of wort I'm working with?
Is there something better or preferred over a Sharpie? Will this produce any off flavors or ill effects on beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
jotakah
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I would personally prefer to use something to etch lines into the metal. More permanent than sharpie and less chemicals

Old 05-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
nasty_rabbit
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 62 Posts

Rather than marking your kettle, mark your spoon. These are my markings for my 5 gallon extract pot. I added the amount of measured water to the pot then stood the spoon up in the pot along a wall at the pot handle (to get the same measurement every time). I then took a file and marked the spoon.

image-236898270.jpg  
Old 05-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
jhoyda
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasty_rabbit View Post
Rather than marking your kettle, mark your spoon. These are my markings for my 5 gallon extract pot. I added the amount of measured water to the pot then stood the spoon up in the pot along a wall at the pot handle (to get the same measurement every time). I then took a file and marked the spoon.
That's flat out brilliant. I saw people using measuring sticks but never got around to making something that would inevitably get lost. I love the fact the spoon does double duty.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 345 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I have a metal yardstick. My kettles have a 1.5 inch increment per gallon. If I need 7 gallons of wort then quick math tells me that will be 10.5 inches on the yard stick.

I tried years ago using sharpie to mark a plastic long-handled brewing spoon. The wort took most off in the first batch. By about the fourth batch you couldn't read the marks. When it comes to acidic wort, grain and dissolved sugars and acids, permanent markers are not very permanent.

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
SwivelHips
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I've been wondering the same thing, and would prefer to avoid dipping something in my kettle, more out of convenience than sanitation.

I would think it okay to mark the inside using some sort of large punch to dimple the kettle wall such that one could still reliably clean it.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 815 Times on 573 Posts
Likes Given: 109

+1 to the metal yardstick

30qt kettle is 15 inches tall, so 2 quarts per inch

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Old 05-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
signmastr
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I took my plastic (food grade) spoon and used a small pipe cutter to mark my gallon and half gallon measurements. I then colored the marks with a sharpie, red for half and black for full gallons. I used fine sandpaper, steel wool to remove the excess. Works great, looks good and was cheap too...

Old 05-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #9
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I mark my plastic mash paddle with a sharpie. I have to redo it every 5th or 6th batch or so. Can't be that bad for us with that small level of exposure. Then again, my wife's left arm did just fall off rather unexpectedly.

Primary #1: Surly Bender clone #2:Berry Rhubarb Wine
Secondary #1
: Empty #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Sparkling Elderflower Wine
Kegged: Dark Side Dunkel, Irish Red
Bottles
: Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Belgian Golden Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Apfelwein, Russian Imperial Stout, Barolo Wine
On Deck: Spruced Warmer, CDA
pabloj13 Likes This 
Old 05-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 815 Times on 573 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post
I mark my plastic mash paddle with a sharpie. I have to redo it every 5th or 6th batch or so. Can't be that bad for us with that small level of exposure. Then again, my wife's left arm did just fall off rather unexpectedly.
sharpie ink + aluminum kettle + plastic mash paddle= spontaneously disjointed limbs

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Quick Reply