New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brewcraft 30L fermentor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
jotakah
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Brewcraft 30L fermentor

Hey so I currently have a batch fermenting in this 30L fermentor (with convenient spigot on the bottom). It's actually almost done fermenting... and I just realized that it's not as opaque as the standard 6gallon bucket lots of people use. It's not clear like glass; it's translucent, you can see the beer through it but it's fuzzy.

I normally always have a t-shirt on clear fermentors to keep away light but this one fermented without one until just now. The room it has been only gets direct light (through small, rectangular windows) in the mornings, and then just gets ambient light for the rest of the day.

What do you think, will it be alright? It's a big batch of IPL and I would be ultra upset if some light through a translucent fermenter screwed the whole thing up.

Picture of the fermentor in question

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
jotakah
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

anybody got an answer for me? a guess even?

Old 02-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I use very similar buckets. I use an incandescent light for heat and don't cover the buckets from the light. And I use an abundance of hops (thus the name ) and I've never experienced light struck. You'd be able to smell it the moment you opened up that bottom spigot.

Brewright. All Rights Reserved. We reserve the right to brew and to help you brew. To protect the brew and defend the brew. To make the brew and drink the brew.

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Old 02-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I ferment in glass carboys, I've never had a problem. It's not in *direct* sunlight in the mornings, is it?

Old 02-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
jotakah
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHoppyGuy View Post
I use very similar buckets. I use an incandescent light for heat and don't cover the buckets from the light. And I use an abundance of hops (thus the name ) and I've never experienced light struck. You'd be able to smell it the moment you opened up that bottom spigot.
That makes me feel much better, thank you hoppy guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrewski View Post
I ferment in glass carboys, I've never had a problem. It's not in *direct* sunlight in the mornings, is it?
Not directly, it's got to filter past tree branches (and leaves in spring/summer) to reach the small rectangular windows, and it hits those windows at sunrise basically so the light is moving across and not down into the windows. The fermentor is a bit below window-line so I guess it isn't *direct*.

I dry hopped it last night with Magnum & Centennial, didn't smell anything.

Quick Reply