Brewcraft 30L fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jotakah

Reaction score
Hey so I currently have a batch fermenting in this 30L fermentor (with convenient spigot on the bottom). It's actually almost done fermenting... and I just realized that it's not as opaque as the standard 6gallon bucket lots of people use. It's not clear like glass; it's translucent, you can see the beer through it but it's fuzzy.

I normally always have a t-shirt on clear fermentors to keep away light but this one fermented without one until just now. The room it has been only gets direct light (through small, rectangular windows) in the mornings, and then just gets ambient light for the rest of the day.

What do you think, will it be alright? It's a big batch of IPL and I would be ultra upset if some light through a translucent fermenter screwed the whole thing up.

Picture of the fermentor in question
BC1377-1.JPG

I use very similar buckets. I use an incandescent light for heat and don't cover the buckets from the light. And I use an abundance of hops (thus the name :D) and I've never experienced light struck. You'd be able to smell it the moment you opened up that bottom spigot.

I ferment in glass carboys, I've never had a problem. It's not in *direct* sunlight in the mornings, is it?

I use very similar buckets. I use an incandescent light for heat and don't cover the buckets from the light. And I use an abundance of hops (thus the name :D) and I've never experienced light struck. You'd be able to smell it the moment you opened up that bottom spigot.

That makes me feel much better, thank you hoppy guy!

I ferment in glass carboys, I've never had a problem. It's not in *direct* sunlight in the mornings, is it?

Not directly, it's got to filter past tree branches (and leaves in spring/summer) to reach the small rectangular windows, and it hits those windows at sunrise basically so the light is moving across and not down into the windows. The fermentor is a bit below window-line so I guess it isn't *direct*.

I dry hopped it last night with Magnum & Centennial, didn't smell anything. :rockin:

Latest posts

Back