Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > braided vinyl tubing from keggle to CFC

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
broadbill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 322 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Default braided vinyl tubing from keggle to CFC

Hi all,

finally have my keggle assembled with a weldless bulkhead. The bulkhead has a barb hose attachment on the outside for a draining the keggle. My plan is to put a use a piece of braided vinyl to drain the keggle into my CFC.

I had to heat up the vinyl tubing (dunked into hot water) to get it to slip onto the barb hose attachment on the bulkhead but now its tight on there. I know I can heat it up again to pull it off, but I was hoping to have it slide on/off easily enough that I could leave it on my CFC and slip the hose onto the keggle bulkhead when I'm ready to drain.

What does everyone else use? I thinking I could heat it up again while on the barb hose attachment, and it might permanently deform so it will slide on/off. Any other tricks?

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use QD's on my keggles. Quick on off. I don't have the link, but got them from McMaster-Carr

Old 11-07-2008, 05:22 PM   #3
FSR402

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

Seeing how you will be running 212* wort thru that I would NOT use a vinyl tube. You will be melting it and that will leach bad stuff into your beer.

Use silicone that's rated for the hight temps. Or as I have mine is a compression fitting hooking the CFC right to the valve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Old 11-07-2008, 06:01 PM   #4
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I disagree. I use Braided Vinyl, potable water grade from Menards/Home Depot, going from boil kettle to CFC and have had no problems. And I'm not dead yet. I agree that for safety of mind it *could* be a good idea. But it's not mandatory, in my opinion.

(That being said, FSR, I like how you have yours set up. If my setup were a little more stationary / well-thought-out, I would probably do the same thing as you've done. Props to you.)

@ The OP, I've never had trouble removing hose - in fact, due to stretching, I have to cut 2" off the end of my hose every, oh, 5 or 6 batches, because it starts to not seal as well. Did you buy too tight of a hose diameter size, possibly? If so, you'll probably have to cut it off the barbed fitting *every* time, or invest in some quick-disconnects as the others have mentioned.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 11-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #5
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 322 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Thanks for all of the responses!

@kilted brewer: yeah, I thought of QD, but I'm brewing tomorrow and so I was looking for a more fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kind of answer!

@FSR: silicone will definitely be the tubing of choice in the next go-round. But I find the braided vinyl holds up nicely. I hear what you are saying about vinyl and leaching, but with everything I've read most peoples' conclusion is "well, it could be a problem, but I still use it" I guess you can have the same criticism of silicone...

@christo: Interesting you have to cut off sections because of stretch. I bought the braided vinyl w/ a 3/8ID to fit over the 3/8copper of my CFC. I just looked and it appears the bulkhead has a 1/2 barb fitting...so there is my problem right there! I could go buy 1/2" ID hose, but then it would be too big for my CFC...maybe I need to find a 3/8 barb fitting now...

Old 11-07-2008, 06:31 PM   #6
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Yep - I had to do the same thing. It's probably a 1/2" ball valve, using a 1/2" NPT - 1/2" barbed fitting. Replacing it with 1/2"NPT x 3/8" Barbed should solve it. I found my fitting for less than $3 at a Home Depot/Menards/etc.

As far as cutting the ends - Like I noted, I do it rarely - 5-6 or more batches between each time it needs cut.

I use the same braided vinyl hose to go MLT->kettle, and kettle-> CFC, so it gets double use. If it's going to be used kettle->CFC only, I would expect it to last well over 10 brews before needing to trim the end.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 11-07-2008, 06:34 PM   #7
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Brewing tomorrow would cut it close, but just so you know McMaster has amazingly fast shipping.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 11-07-2008, 08:17 PM   #8
FSR402

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post

@FSR: silicone will definitely be the tubing of choice in the next go-round. But I find the braided vinyl holds up nicely. I hear what you are saying about vinyl and leaching, but with everything I've read most peoples' conclusion is "well, it could be a problem, but I still use it" I guess you can have the same criticism of silicone...
My dogs like to eat their poo but that does not mean they should or that it's good for them.

I used to use the vinyl tube to run my sparge water from the HLT thru the mainfold and I know that at 170* it was melting the hose a little which can't be good.

For the time being I'm sure you'll be fine but I would want to change it out as soon as I could.

Quote:
Quote:

Old 11-07-2008, 08:47 PM   #9
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSR402 View Post
For the time being I'm sure you'll be fine but I would want to change it out as soon as I could.
I've done 4 or 5 batches now with my new cfc, and I've been using the vinal tubing. I swear I can taste an "off" flavor that reminds me of a new blow up raft that I had as a kid. It's very light, and not noticeable except once in a while...it just is there.
I ordered 5 foot of Silicone hose from Austin Home Brew yesterday.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:36 AM   #10
FSR402

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
I've done 4 or 5 batches now with my new cfc, and I've been using the vinal tubing. I swear I can taste an "off" flavor that reminds me of a new blow up doll that I had as a kid. It's very light, and not noticeable except once in a while...it just is there.
I ordered 5 foot of Silicone hose from Austin Home Brew yesterday.
I'm sure it's the tube that's giving it to you.

Oh and fixed it for you.

Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply