Blichmann burner lighting issue/question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roper4092

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Has anyone run into this: When the flow of gas is at a very low level, I can light the burner with no problem, as long as a kettle is not on it. When I put the kettle on the burner, I am unable to light it. It works just fine at higher gas flows, but at a very low rate, it will only light when the kettle is not on top of the burner.

Not withstanding my reasons or need to do this, can anyone explain why the kettle is disrupting the flow of gas to the point where I cannot light it when set at a low gas flow?

I have a Blichmann burner and have pimped it out with one of those electronic spark ignitors (Brinkmann) I picked up at Home Depot. I have noticed that it is necessary to bring the gas up a bit to start because at low flow, there is not enough air drawn into the front of the burner by venturi action. So, I think this is just a matter of getting enough air to the burners to start. Having a kettle on the burner likely reduces the free flow of air to the burners.

I figured that might be the case. No problem when the gas is turned up higher. The problem is I am using this burner in a RIMS setup (Tower of Power) and I need that low flame setting for a slow rate of heat. Kind of takes away the automation part when I have to adjust the gas rate every time it goes on and off. I have noticed that I can give the burner area a little blow and the flame will catch at the low rate, but who the heck wants to blow every time the burner tries to light?

Back