Blichman Therminator Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeaterAllen

Reaction score
I have been using a counter-flow chiller from B3 for the last several years, and I struggled to effectively chill my wort to near-lager temperatures fast enough to avoid excess DMS. I recently bought a Therminator to, hopefully chill the wort faster.

I put the Therminator to work for the first time yesterday, and it very much exceeded my expectations. In the past I would take 25 minutes to chill 10 gallons of wort down to the low 60s, and I was only able to do this by running the wort through a long hose packed in ice. With the Therminator I was able to chill the wort to 57 degrees in about 10 minutes - amazing. I had no problem cleaning the unit - it didn't take any longer than cleaning the counter-flow chiller. My only complaint about the unit is that the water and wort connectors are relatively close together for someone with fumble-fingers like me.

I highly recommend this chiller. While more expensive than other chillers on the market, with this one you truely get what you pay for.

I too am a Therminator convert, nothing even comes close the preformance of the Therminator!!! I have a brew buddy who has a Sharron cold plate chiller and in a side by side cooling comparison the Therminator out did the Sharron in speed and temperature. For me I'll stick with my Therminator. But I must admit that the Therminator is twice the price, but did not out do the Sharron by twice the speed or temperature. And I must also admit the Sharron is a damn good chiller and both will out do a IC or CFC any day.

Back