Best way to dry hoses?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerdrop

Reaction score
What's the best way to dry hoses? After using on brewday, etc., I will soak them in PBW and rinse, then hang them in the garage. They seem to stay wet on the inside for a fair amount of time. I don't think I've had problems yets, but it's one more level of consistency I'm shooting for. Thanks.

I always grab one end and swing 'em around my head (seriously) so that as much of the water gets out of 'em as possible.

I'm not talking like you're trying to whip someone to death... just enough to keep it in the air so the centrifugal force drains the hose completely and then I hang em in my basement where it is a little less humid then my garage.

Seems to work.

Some people also use an air hose to blow them out if you have one available. i do not and do the swinging like a rodeo cowboy method.

+1 on the cowboy method. YEEEEEEEEEE HAAWWWWW!!

I use it a punishment for the old lady when she is feeling in the mood. Fun and effective.

No, I just swing it around a few times to get the water out.

I always grab one end and swing 'em around my head (seriously) so that as much of the water gets out of 'em as possible.

I'm not talking like you're trying to whip someone to death... just enough to keep it in the air so the centrifugal force drains the hose completely and then I hang em in my basement where it is a little less humid then my garage.

Seems to work.

I do the same thing. Make sure you make the Whup! Whup! Whup! Whup! helicopter sound when you're doing it.

Oh and remove the quick disconnect body.... Seems the extra mass will overcome the fitting and ....well...... let's just say I'm lucky it didn't hit a window.... :eek:

Thanks all! Who knew, but the 'cowboy up' method appears to be an overwhelming majority. Someone needs to make a smily like that. :cool:
Regards,

i leave all my hoses and tubing submerged in starsan. in the past i've had mold grow inside from prolonged air drying. Submerged i avoid that.

Some people also use an air hose to blow them out if you have one available. i do not and do the swinging like a rodeo cowboy method.
Personally, I'd avoid the air compressor method unless you have an inline cartridge filter to catch any of the oil that leaks out from the compressor. Just food for thought on that idea...

do you also keep your carboy's next to a window?

I assume this question was directed to me. No, my brew room is in an underground concrete cube (aside from a door). All six sides are concrete, so there is no ventilation. I run a small dehumidifier 24/7 to keep the room bone dry.

Seems to work.
I tried this after bottling and my bucket came off the hose and smashed thru a window!Should I unhook it next time or am I doing it wrong?:D

Back