Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Batch VS Fly What is The Big Diff.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2007, 06:24 PM   #1
slnies
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Batch VS Fly What is The Big Diff.

So her it is. My next batch I will Batch Sparge. However I have never tried it before now. So I did some research on the forum here, and I came up with some pros and cons. They are:
Batch: 1. Faster
2. easier to attain eff.
3. More fiddling with adding batches of water.
4. requires HLT.

Fly: 1. Easy one step process
2. requires HLT
3. Takes longer.
4. more difficult to zero in.
So, does this sound right so far?
Now that is out of the way What am I missing and what are the supporting arguments either way? Thank you all for your time and considerate thoughts.

S.

Primary: American Wheat
Secondary: Phils Pils Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 603 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I have to disagree with one statement each:

Batch: 2. easier to attain eff.
Perhaps it's easier to achieve a consistent efficiency if you batch sparge, but sparge method alone does not impact efficiency as much as other factors such as mash thickness, pH, temperature, and grain crush.

No way. It's really easy to screw up a fly sparge - channeling, run-off rate, grain bed condition, sparge water introduction method, and some others I'm sure I'm forgetting can present some pretty big hurdles to overcome.

Old 12-24-2007, 06:53 PM   #3
slnies

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
I have to disagree with one statement each:

Batch: 2. easier to attain eff.
Perhaps it's easier to achieve a consistent efficiency if you batch sparge, but sparge method alone does not impact efficiency as much as other factors such as mash thickness, pH, temperature, and grain crush.

No way. It's really easy to screw up a fly sparge - channeling, run-off rate, grain bed condition, sparge water introduction method, and some others I'm sure I'm forgetting can present some pretty big hurdles to overcome.
alright I can see your point, but since there are so many variables in flying would this not make obtaining efficiency easier in a batch.
I should have said that flying is a easy one step process in that you start your sparge once and when the water runs out it is done. You are correct that there are a lot of variables that contribute to both and that those variables effect eff. This is good stuff, this is why I put it to the Forum. I don't know a lot about the subject, but I want to. So thank you very much. S.

Primary: American Wheat
Secondary: Phils Pils Clone

Last edited by slnies; 12-24-2007 at 06:55 PM.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:27 PM   #4
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My general understanding is that, done right, fly sparging vs batch will extract more sugars from the total mash yeilding a higher possible effeciency.

Note that I said "Possible". In reality, batch sparging is as "good" as fly sparging and odds are other parts of your equipment/procedure will matter more, as Yuri said.

I personally prefer batch sparging because it's much simpler and easier.

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Old 12-24-2007, 08:18 PM   #5
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You listed "requires HLT" in both lists. Why not strike it since it is a constant? I mean, both methods require grain and water too.

Additional con for batch sparging: must vorlauf before each running.

Fly sparging only requires one vorlauf at most, and if you recirculate your wort (e.g., HERMS or direct recirculation), vorlaufing may be taken care of by that process depending on how you are doing it. For batch sparging, you will usually have to vorlauf two times.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:14 PM   #6
eddie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It's true that you have to vorlauf at the beginning of each run but it's only a quart or less each time with batch sparging. When I fly sparged, I had to take close to a gallon. Also, batch sparging is faster and easier than fly sparging IMO. I don't have to monitor Ph during the sparge or frig with the flow rates to get them balanced and I haven't seen any negative impact on my eff at all.

Old 12-25-2007, 04:22 AM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 905 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Actually, when comparing the two in regard to an HLT, it's a matter of how the water flows out. In fly, you have to dial the flow in rather precisely. In batch you can litereally dump the water into the MLT. I'd suggest going batch first. If you feel like you're missing something, then buy yourself a false bottom and sparge arm.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 12-25-2007, 04:29 AM   #8
budbo
Beer is good

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
I don't have to monitor Ph during the sparge
Neither do I, Once the Fly water is set the Ph isn't going to change appreciably, plus at that point does it even matter? Once you start the sparge you are done mashing, all you are doing is rinsing the sugars, keeping the enzymes happy is irrelevant at that point.

My set up is marked, unless I get a stuck sparge, I set the valves to the marks and walk away once you have tweaked your flow rate it isn't hard and to me, no more work than batch sparging. But that's just me

Really isn't a better, both work it's about personal preference.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:07 AM   #9
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Take a look here.

The facts without opinion.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Sparging

Old 12-25-2007, 12:37 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 905 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I think it's important to note that when we're debating which is "better" that we're both making beer. Keeping that in mind will help you realize that we're splitting hairs in friendly debate because we love talking about brewing.

I also want to suggest that if you're a major proponent of one method over the other, your opinion should hold more water if you've tried both methods and made up your mind that way. I think a good majority of folks picked a method, found that it works (of course) and had no reason to change. In my case, I started with batch and never saw an efficiency lower than 76% (the average is now 90%). You can imagine why I stick with it and suggest it. However, I've never tried fly sparging. Maybe it would eek me out another 5% but it's not worth the thought and money.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply