Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > "Apple Vinegar" & peroxide to de-lead Brass?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 10:25 PM   #1
Rad-Rabbit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default "Apple Vinegar" & peroxide to de-lead Brass?

Can I use "Apple Vinegar" & peroxide to de-lead Brass?
According to John Plamer, you should use white vinegar but all I have is Apple Vinegar. Will this work in the same ratio or not at all?

How to Brew Appendix B - Brewing Metallurgy

Cleaning Brass
Some brewers use brass fittings in conjunction with their wort chillers or other brewing equipment and are concerned about the lead that is present in brass alloys. A solution of two parts white vinegar to one part hydrogen peroxide (common 3% solution) will remove tarnish and surface lead from brass parts when they are soaked for 5 minutes or less at room temperature. The brass will turn a buttery yellow color as it is cleaned. If the solution starts to turn green and the brass darkens, then the parts have been soaking too long and the copper in the brass is beginning to dissolve, exposing more lead. The solution has become contaminated and the part should be re-cleaned in a fresh solution.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 439 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Should work, either way, no big deal IMO. If the lead was huge concern...swap it for stainless. I often wonder if the trace amount of lead that would migrate off the brass would even be detectable in the first batch.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:52 PM   #3
Rad-Rabbit
Recipes 

I have all stainless for my Brutus build but that still isn't finished and likely won't be untill after the new year. So today I decided to built a 5 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT for mini mashes on the stove. I just wanted to make sure It was safe.

So long as the apple vinegar is OK to replace white vinegar I'm set. Detectable or not I don't want any lead entering my system if I can help it.
Thanks

Old 11-03-2009, 11:17 PM   #4
Rad-Rabbit
Recipes 

OK, I just finished with soaking the brass ball valve and barb fitting in a 2:1 Apple vinegar & peroxide solution. I would say it worked perfectly and that if anyone else is in the same predicament you are fine to use apple vinegar.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:11 AM   #5
SteveG
Recipes 

You just need to acidify the solution. Both vinegars are going to do the same exact thing, one is just distilled and contains only acetic acid and water.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:41 PM   #6
ThomasPaine
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ho do you know it worked perfectly?

Quick Reply