Anybody noticed negative effects from using pantyhose to dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJSkypala

Reaction score
For some reason nylon hop bags are ridiculously expensive in my area ($6.50 for a small one) and I want to dry hop a couple beers in the keg.

Will the nude-colored 100% nylon pantyhose impart any off-flavors or anything to my beer?

Also, are these suitable to use to dry-hop with pellets in a keg and keep hop particles out of the beer?

I just don't like the way they feel on my legs. So I prefer not to wear them when dry hopping. On the plus side, since I don't wear them, no off flavors are imparted into the beer! :D :D :D

It helps tremendously to shave your legs regularly when using panty hose. Even a minor degree of stubble can be irritating as it sort of snags on the fine nylon mesh. I only use new pantyhose with an occasional exception for some Belgians.

Seriously now, the disposable muslin type hops bags should only run you about 50 cents each and the very large ones maybe $1.50 at your LHBS. Alternately, you can buy knee high nylons at a reasonable price. Often you can find these in multi-packs like three pair for $2 or something like that. My local Dollar store has them right next to the canned tuna. That's how I discovered them. I was shopping for tuna and came home with a bunch of cheap hop bags in addition.

I did not think that muslin was suitable for dry-hopping with pellets in a keg?

The pores seem pretty big.

SWMBO slapped me when she caught me trying to steal her pantyhose. I told her it was for the hops, but she didn't buy it.

On a serious note, just pick up a 5gal nylon paint strainer bag.

Several years ago, I was helping a friend with a brew and he decided to use stockings to filter his beer as he poured it into the fermenter. We both cringed as we watched the color bleed into the bucket. One batch for the drain. I won't trust a pair of stockings with my brew.

I second the paint strainer suggestion.

+1 for the paint strainer bag. That's what I generally use. Although I have used a uncolored nylon in a pinch with no ill effects.

I use white nylon knee highs for pellet hops in the boil and have used them to dry hop pellets in the keg. 3 pairs for a dollar at walmart. In the keg, they kept out all but the finest particles. Cold crashing and shortened dip tube got rid of those. In the boil, I have not noticed any utilization lost as opposed to when I used nothing. I think they are great.

SWMBO slapped me when she caught me trying to steal her pantyhose. I told her it was for the hops, but she didn't buy it.

On a serious note, just pick up a 5gal nylon paint strainer bag.

+1 on the paint strainer bags.

I use a pair of P-hose when siphoning from primary to keg to catch the chunks.

Get a used pair that has been through the wash a few times; never had any problems other than a fishy smell.

The pores seem pretty big.

Lotion dude.

you can get 'game bags' from a sportsman's shop like cabelas. Just cheap nylon ones, shouldn't be more than a buck or two. Big bags also make for decent grain bags, even for brew-in-a-bag type sessions

Back