Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Are 60 yr old carboys worth anything? "CRISA 1942"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
GooBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Are 60 yr old carboys worth anything? "CRISA 1942"

So My GF's best friend let us have a 5 gal. carboy today. Her grandfather had passed away and she had taken it from his estate when they were cleaning out his things. She has since moved to Hawaii and it has been siting at her parents house ever since.

It is stamped with "CRISA 18.9 ltrs 1942 MADE IN MEXICO" on the bottom. You can also see the mold marks in the glass from teh factory. Something that isnt on any of our modern 6.5 gallon carboys.

I was just wondering if it would be a better decision to leave this one empty for display if its worth anything. Not really sure if there is a collectors market for old carboys.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2008, 10:32 PM   #2
Moonshae
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

As long as they aren't cracked and can be cleaned, go for it. If it looks like he was storing something nasty in them, you might want to pass on them, though.

"You never can tell with bees." --Winnie the Pooh

Old 12-27-2008, 10:38 PM   #3
GooBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Its clean, just had change in it for the last 20 years.
$73 dollars worth to be exact but we gave that back to my GFs friend lol.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:45 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

If you wanted to use glass, then I would almost trust that old bugger more than most of the newer carboys made today...if not then yeah use it for display...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-27-2008, 10:57 PM   #5
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

If he had coins in it I would inspect it closely for scratches and nicks. Glass is a lot harder to scratch than plastic but metal coins could do it. Even glass could potentially harbor bacteria in small scratches. I may be in the minority here on that regard. I expect I will get blasted for my comments but hey, I am paranoid when it comes to my own beer. What you do with yours is up to you.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 12-27-2008, 11:45 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi View Post
If he had coins in it I would inspect it closely for scratches and nicks. Glass is a lot harder to scratch than plastic but metal coins could do it. Even glass could potentially harbor bacteria in small scratches. I may be in the minority here on that regard. I expect I will get blasted for my comments but hey, I am paranoid when it comes to my own beer. What you do with yours is up to you.
I agree totally!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-27-2008, 11:49 PM   #7
GooBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just inspected it on my lunch break at work, it just appears to be dusty from setting around for 40 years. No odor or anything coming from it. I was warned to not use it to store coins, I guess there were several other carboys found in the guys house with about 4 inches of coins in them, When picked up they all broke. Except for the one I have which was saved.

I just wasnt sure if the carboy was worth money to someone looking for old glasswares. I would rather use it to ferment wine, but if its worth money I would sell it to buy a few modern carboys.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:15 AM   #8
Glubki
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 2 Posts

I picked up a bottle capper at the Brass Armadillo (antique mall) in Denver a couple of months ago and there were 3-4 old glass carboys ranging from $50 to $125. One of them was a really old wine bottle and that was going for $125. Take it for what it's worth though - the antique dealers always add a 40 to 60% markup looking for a collector or a sucker....

Old 12-28-2008, 01:13 PM   #9
sigmund
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi View Post
If the previous owner had continually dumped change in and out of the carboy, scratching might be a concern, but that's not usually the case. Most coins have so much copper in them, they probably are fine. Regardless, a good long soak in PBW or Oxyclean is in order to get all the accumulated nasties out of them.

Burkey Street Brewery

Quick Reply