0.5 Micron still better than 2 micron?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homer

Reaction score
I have been doing a bunch of reading trying to decide between the two different stones. I will be using pure o2, probably Williams wand kit. I know the 0.5 is more efficient, but since I will be aerating 10 gal batches would I want I the 2 micron just to get a higher amount of 02 into to it faster?

I am also a little worried about clogging the 0.5, I hear people having to boil it before and after. I brew in a garage, and anytime I need to boil something, it's a pita, since I need to bust out my camping stove to do it.

Thanks

Aren't you just boiling to sterilize it before, then again after to make sure that no yeast or other bugs grow in it before the next brew?

You could do that the day before brewing, in a small Mason jar kept sealed until you use it, and then a good few hours after brewing to clean it out and sterilize it again.

I've had the .5 micron stone for 4-5 years and have never boiled it. There's no reason to if you're careful with it.

First, soak the stone in starsan for 5-10 minutes. The starsan will permeate the stone effectively sanitizing all of the pores. When ready to aerate, make sure the o2 is flowing before submersing it in the wort. Adjust the flow so that the bubbles just barely reach the surface. Aerate for 1-2 minutes.

Second, maintain flow rate while removing stone from wort and immediately rinse with hot running water. Do not turn of o2 until rinsing is complete. Allow it to air dry and store somewhere so it won't collect dust.

i only boil before and never had issues. I rinse with starsan after though. I also brew in the garage but i will boil it in the kitchen. doesnt take very long, i only boil it for a min or two and i dont use that much water so it comes to a boil fast.

Back