Zwanze Day 2016-10-01 - The Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will do. I was planning to probably go to DC because I have heard Monks is pretty tight on Zwanze - I've never been in there for a beer event before but I could see it getting out of hand pretty fast, but I don't really know that DC would necessarily be better and Philly's closer..
It can definitely get tight, but that's true of Monk's pretty much any Saturday. It's a good time, but very cramped to be sure.

Makes total sense. Different times. Nowadays people would probably be getting shanked over a Blauw.
Totally. I think the Blauws sold for right around $100, with the $ going straight to charity. I was in grad school at the time and couldn't justify the price. I've kicked myself times over.

Coming back from Iceland that day and going to a concert that night. Probs won't go yet again.

Totally. I think the Blauws sold for right around $100, with the $ going straight to charity. I was in grad school at the time and couldn't justify the price. I've kicked myself times over.
Yep, allegedly a cool $100 cash and you could buy a Blauw. Back then the line was so short at open that my buddy who was first in line was allowed to go back through and buy a Malvasia.

Rough 'hindsite is 20-20' situation, but $100 in hand when cash is short is probably worth a lot more than drinking a Blauw.

Yep, allegedly a cool $100 cash and you could buy a Blauw. Back then the line was so short at open that my buddy who was first in line was allowed to go back through and buy a Malvasia.

Rough 'hindsite is 20-20' situation, but $100 in hand when cash is short is probably worth a lot more than drinking a Blauw.
Now new money take a cash advance to buy turbid cans. How times have changed.

Any SoCal people have any idea how Bagby and Beachwood will handle this? My wife and I had talked about going down to SD that weekend, but if those are both shitshows I might just pass.

post-39456-obiwan-kenobi-now-thats-a-name-mGsY.gif

Any SoCal people have any idea how Bagby and Beachwood will handle this? My wife and I had talked about going down to SD that weekend, but if those are both shitshows I might just pass.
Bagby sells tickets in advance online that gets you a pour of Zwanze and ~3 other pours of whatever Cantillon is available (last year was classic, kriek, rdg, and brouscella). Not a ******** or overly crowded, and Bagby is an incredible venue as well. I'm going to a wedding in Joshua Tree that weekend or I would be there.

I haven't been, but Beachwood has two sessions that they pre sell tickets for. They usually email out info prior if you go to the website and sign up for emails.

For the first time in a couple years I don't have a cousin getting married on Zwanze Day. I marked off for right beforehand on the tentative vacation calendar at work in the event a Hill Farmstead trip is possible, otherwise I will be destroying my insides alongside seedavid at Fool's Gold.

Well, looks like I am out then.

Don't sweat it if you miss the Zwanze pour. You can still buy seasonal Loons to drink on site, not to mention the kegs of Rose and/or Iris, plus the bottle share before it all kicks off.

You won't be disappointed, and it's not like you have to be there at 5am or anything. Get there by 9am and you get everything but the Zwanze pour. I value my sleep and sanity over that.

Bagby sells tickets in advance online that gets you a pour of Zwanze and ~3 other pours of whatever Cantillon is available (last year was classic, kriek, rdg, and brouscella). Not a ******** or overly crowded, and Bagby is an incredible venue as well. I'm going to a wedding in Joshua Tree that weekend or I would be there.
Yeah I've been to Bagby before, IIRC it was right after they opened, and would love to go back. I guess I should try for tickets there then!

I recently moved very close to Spuyten Duyvil and am planning on going, can anyone fill me in on how it's been handled there in the past?
Crowded but if the weather is nice the garden is a nice reprieve. Usually very similar bottles/draft pours between SD and wherever its being hosted in the city

Awesome, thanks. How early do I need to plan to arrive?
It depends--the bottles are first come/first serve, so if you want bottles I think people get there on the early side. I felt like taps were flowing for a while--I remember hearing FG stuff kicked very quickly last year (and in the morning, because they opened way earlier iirc)

Well, looks like I am out then.

I didn't go last year, but in previous years my approach has been to show up at noon. I got a ticket for the "other" Cantillon kegs and/or bought a bottle (Cantillon, Tilquin...) and inevitably I was offered a sip of the Zwanze beer from someone that showed up at 7:30AM and had been drinking for the past 4 hours and were feeling pretty good at that point and wanted to share the love with folks that didn't get to try it yet.

Locations announced! Who's going and where?

13872826_1194030517315589_8660363957727991337_n.jpg

AUSTRALIA
- The Scratch Bar -- Brisbane

AUSTRIA
- Tribaun -- Innsbruck

BELGIUM
- Moeder Lambic Fontainas -- Brussels
- Moeder Lambic Saint-Gilles -- Brussels
- Mi-Orge Mi-Houblon – Arlon
- Rose Red -- Brugge

CANADA
- Dieu du Ciel -- Montréal, Québec
- Birreria Volo -- Toronto, Ontario
- The Drake – Victoria, British Columbia

DENMARK
- Himmeriget -- Copenhagen

FRANCE
- La Fine Mousse -- Paris
- La Capsule -- Lille

FINLAND
- Stadin Panimo Baari -- Helsinki

GERMANY
- Café Herman -- Berlin

GREAT BRITAIN
- Kernel Brewery – Bermondsey
- North Bar -- Leeds
- Six° North -- Aberdeen

ITALIE
- Ma Che Siete Venuti A Fà -- Rome
- The Dome -- Nembro
- LambicZoon-- Milano
- The Drunken Duck -- Quinto Vicentino
- Ristopub Margherita -- Quartu Sant’Elena
- Ottavonano -- Atripalda

JAPAN
- To be confirmed
- To be confirmed

NEDERLAND
- De Bierkoning -- Amsterdam

NEW-ZEALAND
- Garage Project – Wellington

NORWAY
- Nogne O -- Grimstad

SPAIN
- Masia Agullons -- Sant Joan de Mediona

SWEDEN
- Akkurat -- Stockholm

SWITZERLAND
- Erzbierschof -- Zurich

USA
- Anchorage Brewing Co. -- Anchorage, Alaska
- Armsby Abbey -- Worcester, Massachusetts
- Avenue Pub -- New Orleans, Louisiana
- Bagby Beer -- Oceanside, California
- Beachwood BBQ -- Seal Beach, California
- Crooked Stave Barrel Cellar -- Denver, Colorado
- De GardeBrewing -- Tillamook, Oregon
- Fool's Gold -- Manhattan, New York
- Green Bench Brewing Co. -- St-Petersburg, Florida
- Hill Farmstead Brewery -- Greensboro, Vermont
- Holy Grale -- Louisville, Kentucky
- Jester King Brewery -- Austin, Texas
- Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales -- Dexter, Michigan
- Mikkeller Bar -- San Fransisco, California
- Monk's Café -- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Novare Res Bier Café -- Portland, Maine
- Playalinda Brewing Co. -- Titusville, Florida
- REAL a Gastropub -- Honolulu, Hawaii
- Russian River Brewing -- Santa Rosa, California
- Schera's -- Elkader, Iowa
- Side Project Cellar -- Maplewood, Missouri
- Slow Boat Tavern -- Seattle, Washington
- Spuyten Duyvil -- Brooklyn, New York
- The Sovereign -- Washington D.C.
- Thin Man Brewery – Buffalo, New-York
- Trillium Brewing Co. -- Canton, Massachusetts
- West Lakeview Liquors -- Chicago, Illinois
- 1 more place to be confirmed
I'll ****ing BE at Jester King if they'll have me this year. Last year (actually, this year, lol): not so much (lost the lotto)

Sounds like de Garde is doing ticket sales in person-only for Zwanze. Will be interesting to see how quick they sell out.

I did Bagby last year - only because I was on a plane when the Beachwood tickets went live. I'll admit I was a little disappointed - the pours were small, one of the blends was off, the glasses were just standard Cantillion (not event branded) and the Zwanze wasn't great (**** dark sours). I remember walking away feeling I'd wasted my money and that I wouldn't bother with it next year....

but **** does this years Zwanze look tasty! - TheDuke Usofar

Don't sweat it if you miss the Zwanze pour. You can still buy seasonal Loons to drink on site, not to mention the kegs of Rose and/or Iris, plus the bottle share before it all kicks off.

You won't be disappointed, and it's not like you have to be there at 5am or anything. Get there by 9am and you get everything but the Zwanze pour. I value my sleep and sanity over that.

I didn't go last year, but in previous years my approach has been to show up at noon. I got a ticket for the "other" Cantillon kegs and/or bought a bottle (Cantillon, Tilquin...) and inevitably I was offered a sip of the Zwanze beer from someone that showed up at 7:30AM and had been drinking for the past 4 hours and were feeling pretty good at that point and wanted to share the love with folks that didn't get to try it yet.

Sounds like a good time. If everything with the move is settled in by then I will definitely give it a go. All So Cal beer events have left me jaded so I refuse to line up at 430am for any beer.

Framingham/Worcester Commuter Rail provides Back Bay to Worcester service. Worcester station a 10 minute walk to AA

Oh good. A $11.50 fare + 90 minute train ride + a 10 minute walk, assuming you've already gotten to Back Bay or South Station without any other necessary transit. Like I said, basically inaccessible.

I did Bagby last year - only because I was on a plane when the Beachwood tickets went live. I'll admit I was a little disappointed - the pours were small, one of the blends was off, the glasses were just standard Cantillion (not event branded) and the Zwanze wasn't great (**** dark sours). I remember walking away feeling I'd wasted my money and that I wouldn't bother with it next year....

but **** does this years Zwanze look tasty! - TheDuke Usofar

Is it safe to assume there's details or something on the first page of this thread? When/where/etc?

Latest posts

Back