Zombies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
What is the appeal of these rotting, cannibalistic adversaries?

In video games such as resident evil, the appeal was obvious. In the days before people stopped giving a rat's ass about violence in games, you could blow away these humanoid adversaries and not only were you not a mass murderer, you were performing a valuable public service.

In movies, they present several risks.

You could:

Be infected

Be eaten

Be trapped with no escape

Be trapped with no escape by a loved one who first infects you , then eats you.

You get it.

The whole apocalyptic survival thing has it's own bent appeal. It has been done successfully with disease, aliens, environmental factors, etc. other than zombies.

Are they a perfect storm?

The old zombies also had the psychological appeal that the old mummy had.

They were slower than you, but they never stopped.

Of course, in our MORE is BETTERsociety, zombies are world class sprinters and mummies are the ********* from Titanic.

My conclusion?

EVERYTHING IS COOLER WITH ZOMBIES.

God DAMMIT I love halloween.

Zombies have all the appeal of mass murder, without any of the guilt.

There is a HUGE amount of conflict narrative in a zombie infection as well. How well will YOU do against nature, the zombies (supernatural), the other man, technology, what is left of society, and of course yourself.

It is so hard for a person to be able to triumph against all of the conflicts, it can hold the attention for quite a while.

Warning: Buzzkill

http://www.cracked.com/article_18683_7-scientific-reasons-zombie-outbreak-would-fail-quickly_p1.html

I don't think zombies are all that interesting really. Mindless, hellbent on destruction, no emotions or desires. IMHO, a boring villain. Frankenstein just wanted love and was misunderstood, Dracula lusted for blood, terrorists want to destroy us in an us against them mentality, the english are greedy and rape scottish women. All more interesting plots. Zombies? Meh, nothing.

Seen Zombieland KC?

Might change you. SPOILER* his hot chick next door comes crashing into his apartment having narrowly escaped an attacker.

She falls asleep lovely as can be on his shoulder.

He narrowly wakes up with her smelling him and looking quite aggressive....

Good FUN!

And the premise of an infection is not necessarily supernatural, although the re-animation of dead bodies does cross the line I guess.

Halloween is the best time of the year, I have a garage full of Halloween stuff, zombies climbing out of the ground, coffins with the lids banging while the zombie inside is trying to get out, corpse on a rotisserie over a fire, its all very zombie-riffic!

TO THIS DAY....(lol)

I get to a certain point on Resident Evil 2, where you hear intermittent zombie moans, but they can't get you, and I pump that out all of the windows and the garage on halloween.

AWESOME effect!

I should do something like that, I currently have 12" subs built into headstones in the yard, they are powered by an 800 watt amp and speakers under the eaves, I play a cd of an actual thunderstorm loud enough to shake the ground when the thunder claps, its all connected to a color organ to flash lights positioned around the yard just as the thunder hits.

I should do something like that, I currently have 12" subs built into headstones in the yard, they are powered by an 800 watt amp and speakers under the eaves, I play a cd of an actual thunderstorm loud enough to shake the ground when the thunder claps, its all connected to a color organ to flash lights positioned around the yard just as the thunder hits.

That's awesome!

:rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin:

That's awesome!

:rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin:

That is definitely BAD ASSED.

The zombies are on such a true random on that game, no loop at all, I will have to keep that, but a THUNDER storm would go well too...........

I have halogen undercabinet puck lights positioned throughout the yard, they flicker and flash along with the storm, this year I think I am going for seperate channels for a better flash to thunder delay effect, I can also add in a loop of an hour or so of the zombie moaning. if you want the thunderstorm MP3, PM me your email address and I can send it to you. I just loop the storm, and keep a fan on the amp so I dont get a thermal shutdown

PM'd azs.

I am also rigging a freakish ghost that will raise and lower (via my disengaged garage door opener) from this huge cherry tree over the drive.....that's right......REMOTE CONTROL DEATH FROM ABOVE BITCHES........

J.L. Bourne's new book is out. Almost picked it up today!

Wait what?!
What is it called? I have Day by dar armageddon and Beyond exile. I've read the first one twice and I'm workin on the 2nd for the 2nd time. Have you read Zomblog, WWZ, or Plague of the dead?

I have a friend that treats that book like his Bible.

............anyone read "pride and prejudice and Zombies"?

Supposedly some author is taking famous novels and working in zombies........

Either retarded or ingenious, tough call.

My wife liked it, but she likes zombies, and Jane Austin. I didn't like it, as I only like zombies.

I may give Sense and Sensibilities and Sea Monsters a try though.

Wait what?!
What is it called? I have Day by dar armageddon and Beyond exile. I've read the first one twice and I'm workin on the 2nd for the 2nd time.

It must the Beyond Exile that I saw, it was the first time I had seen it on the shelves at the bookstore.

Did you enjoy it?

A little of both is my guess.

My wife liked it, but she likes zombies, and Jane Austin. I didn't like it, as I only like zombies.

I may give Sense and Sensibilities and Sea Monsters a try though.

LOL.

Halloween is a bit off, but soon, I will begin the first preparation.....

I leave little patches of grass unmowed where the headstones will go.

2 ft tall grass around the headstones makes them look like they have been there for years.

It must the Beyond Exile that I saw, it was the first time I had seen it on the shelves at the bookstore.

Did you enjoy it?

YES...
One of the best zed books I own. I would really love to see JL Bourne release another in that series, or maybe write another book but it may be a while before either happens. I really enjoy the first person narrative style that zombie writers are adopting nowadays, I think it really pushes the whole survival-horror aspect. Zomblog is another first person narrative that is quite enjoyable. And, for a quick and really well illustrated narrative from the view of a doctor with a passion for birdwatching (hence the beautiful ink and watercolor pictures) check out Zombies: A record of the year of infection.

Sorry, I'm a bit of an overzealous fan when it comes to zombie related stuff.

The first "Night of the living dead" really is a classic.

It must have been so groundbreaking on several fronts.

The main black actor and the TV commentator "news" flashes are incredible.

The rest of the actors over or under act horribly (but almost forgiveably for the time, if not for the incredible job done by the aforementioned actor).

"They're coming to get you Barbara!"

Classic.

Halloween is a bit off, but soon, I will begin the first preparation.....

I leave little patches of grass unmowed where the headstones will go.

2 ft tall grass around the headstones makes them look like they have been there for years.

I also neglect the bushes, neatly trimmed plants and old haunted cemetary do not go well together, I also board up the windows on the house for added effect.

6 to 8 hours I would guess, isnt it like 500 miles to Phoenix? Im 30 miles from Phoenix.
maybe we need a Halloween decoration thread.

Has anyone seen the film 'Fido'?

Great zombie movie. It takes place after the zombie apocalypse in which the humans have won. Towns and cities have been fenced off to prevent zombies from getting in and scientists have invented a collar that turns them docile so they can be used as domestic servants.

A nerdy kid who gets picked on at school has a pet zombie that is his only friend. When his collar starts to malfunction, hilarity and carnage ensue!

Check it out, it's a very unique spin on the genre.

Has anyone seen the film 'Fido'?

Great zombie movie. It takes place after the zombie apocalypse in which the humans have won. Towns and cities have been fenced off to prevent zombies from getting in and scientists have invented a collar that turns them docile so they can be used as domestic servants.

A nerdy kid who gets picked on at school has a pet zombie that is his only friend. When his collar starts to malfunction, hilarity and carnage ensue!

Check it out, it's a very unique spin on the genre.

THANK YOU!! I had seen it offered on the wii streaming, but hadn't had a great feeling about it til now. I will hopefully watch it tonight.

Nope! too hard to get the kids in for candy, they always get tangled up in the razor wire when going over the fence.

Breaking into prison for candy......OK, I can see that!

I'm dressing up at Shaun from Shaun of the Dead this halloween. Already got my pants, shirt, tie and name tag.

Constructed a cricket bat of foam, wooden dowel and wood contact paper.

Maybe I'll upload some pictures.

THANK YOU!! I had seen it offered on the wii streaming, but hadn't had a great feeling about it til now. I will hopefully watch it tonight.

It's not a gore fest horror movie by any means. It's more of a satire but it's done really well. They had pretty big budget for an indie zombie flick.

Back