Zero Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHBT

Reaction score
I know the 3 week rule and i always let the beer go at least 3 weeks before i put them in the fridge but i also try a bottle or 2 before just to see how its going for the hell of it, usually i get some bubbles after a week but this batch absolutly zero carbonation as flat as it was going in the bottles..i cant figure out what is going on...i flipped the bottles upside down to see if beer drips its does not, i primed with 4.58oz ..to me this is strange i know they should not be ready but zero signs of bubbles has me nervous..its 80 degrees too

It sure seems like there would be some carbonation after 2 weeks, but sometimes it just takes longer. It's probably best just to give it 3 - 4 weeks before panicking.

Does the beer still taste kind of sweet?

If it doesn't, the CO2 is escaping (capping issues). You could also try sealing a bottle in a plastic bag to see if CO2 is escaping (the bag will swell up).

Have you used a different yeast to normal? or gelatine?
I find English yeasts in particular, if allowed to clear completely before bottling, can take a fair bit longer than less flocculant strains to bottle carbonate.

The only way the yeast is likely to be dead is if the bottles got over about 110.

Next batch, substitute one 12 ounce plastic soda bottle.
When that bottle gets hard to squeeze (aka "rock hard") your beer is ready for the fridge.

As for this batch, any chance you used maltodextrin instead of sucrose/dextrose?

Cheers!

If you use sugar to carb your beer. After you place the boiled sugar into the beer, lightly stir the sugar into solution. After I did this, I saw better results with even carbonation amongst bottles.

I used corn sugar and i checked for leaks by turning the bottles upside down ..no leaks..maybe just stressed yeast the beer is 6.9%..just gonna forget about it for a month and continue brewing new batches..cheers

If you use sugar to carb your beer. After you place the boiled sugar into the beer, lightly stir the sugar into solution. After I did this, I saw better results with even carbonation amongst bottles.

This- plus stir (gently w/ sanitized spoon) your beer/sugar mixture every 6 bottles. The sugar solution will settle so keeping it mixed will give you a more consistent carbonation.

Back