Yule(Christmas) Ale, Single-per-night Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRParker

Reaction score
This is a Big All Grain beer with big flavours; Here we go:

10 lbs Maris Otter Pale Malt
1 Lbs Crystal 40(Mostly for colour)
1 Lbs Carapils(For Body, much is lost to fermentation)
1 Lbs Honey(Clover is what I used; MOlasses would do)

1 oz Perle Hops as 60 min bittering Hops(I used Pellet hops, this was total boil as well)
1 oz Fresh-ground Ginger and 1 packet(2 oz) of Mulling spices at 15 min*

* I Missed the opportunity for Irish Moss here, I would recommend but the final product is rather clear following my methods with little trub in bottle.

1 oz Fuggles at 5 min.

Strike Temp at about 168 for a Mash temp of 156-ish(mine were all over the place trying BIAB on a stove-top with a 6.5 Gallon total pot)

OG was 1.051 in my set-up for 4.5 Gallons(I was shooting for 5-6 gallons and will increase next year loss of ABV be damned)

FG Was 1.0025(unless my Hydrometer is off) After a Rack and Cold Break dropping me to 4 Gallons.

The 48 Hour Cold Break gave me an incredibly Clear beer within a week of Bottling with very little trub/bottle and after 3 weeks of bottling it is very drinkable and roughly 8.666% abv(but has a dry almost astringent flavour); after 3 weeks bottle conditioning the flavour mellows to a ginger bread flavour(but i would recommend no more than 32 oz per imbiber both due to drinkable flavour and base cost on the small scale)

Post script: I believe that added efficiency and increased BTUs from my new burner will boh make this a much better beer in the future(I did the whole thing on my Stove top which did not get hot enough for a full boil)

Back