your favorite SMaSH recipe, please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshesmusica

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This week I'll be purchasing two 5-liter fermenting buckets. I've been wanting to go to all grain for a while now, but don't have the equipment to really do so, and don't want to use one of my 30L fermenting buckets to make 9 or 10 liters of beer (about the max i could do all grain with the equipment that I have). Also, I've been really wanting to be able to do experiments, so then these small buckets will allow me to do small-scale experiments without having to use up my bigger fermenting buckets.
Anyways, before I start experimenting, I want to make sure and get my all grain BIAB method down and consistent. So I decided to brew some SMaSH recipes for the first few, because it will allow for simple recipes, and I will be able to discover which hops and grains I like most together. I will do 8 L batches and divide them in two generally speaking.
So in preparation for that, I was hoping to gather a list of some tried and true SMaSH recipes. Do you have any that are always favorites among you and yours that you would recommend I try?

Curious, (not trying to thread jack). What temp do you all mash the 2 row at? I was thinking of doing a 2-row SMaSH and maybe doing it at 154?

I think I mashed at 154, my notes are at work. You're not going to get much in the way of body from straight 2 Row anyhow. My Cascade IPA could be a little less dry, but it's solid anyway.

ever tried any other combination of these? like vienna and citra? or maris otter and cascade?

I have tried vienna with magnum, dry hopped with citra. It was just ok. The citra didn't seem to match well with the vienna. But then again, I did that as an after thought because the magnum adds clean bitterness.

I tried Vienna with hallertau and fermented with Bavarian lager yeast. That was great.

I have an all Vienna and magnum in the fermenter. I plan to dry hop with northern brewer when I get a chance. I will let you know.

As you can tell, I like all Vienna beers.

ever tried any other combination of these? like vienna and citra? or maris otter and cascade?

Oops,
Didn't answer your second question...

I haven't tried MO with cascade. I tried MO with fuggles; EKG has a better flavor. Softer flavor, fuggles (60 mins, 15 mins and 5 mins ) erminded me of dirt.

Just tapped.

Amarillo Armadillo

5 lbs Maris Otter
.5 oz Amarillo 60 min.
.5 oz Amarillo 5 min.
1 oz Amarillo 0 min.

Bry-97 yeast.

Mashed at 148 for 90 minutes.

Target OG.1.044 actual 1.049

Simply AMAZING!

I am not good at describing flavors but I would put this in my top 10 of 71 brews.

Just tapped.

Amarillo Armadillo

5 lbs Maris Otter
.5 oz Amarillo 60 min.
.5 oz Amarillo 5 min.
1 oz Amarillo 0 min.

Bry-97 yeast.

Simply AMAZING!

I am not good at describing flavors but I would put this in my top 10 of 71 brews.
Is that a 5 gallon brew?

My two favs are: Marris otter/Willamette and Golden Promise/Cascade. The GP/Cascade being my favorite. A nice solid pale ale.

my wife likes 2 row and Goldings with US-05 yeast...but I did cheat and made a batch with 1/2 and 1/2, 2 row and Vienna with Goldings and US-05... better IMHO.

Just tapped.

Amarillo Armadillo

5 lbs Maris Otter
.5 oz Amarillo 60 min.
.5 oz Amarillo 5 min.
1 oz Amarillo 0 min.

Bry-97 yeast.

Simply AMAZING!

Is that a 5 gallon brew?

No, 3 gallon BIAB.

I just did a pilsner/Mosaic that was great. 80IBU of Mosaic in the last 20 minutes and a little to dty hop too.
Fermented with Belle Saison.
OG 1.059
FG 1.004
Wickedness in a bottle!

munich and Azacca

12lbs munich 10l

2oz at 60
2oz at 20
2oz at 10
2oz at 5

ive made this a couple times now and it is insane! like someone takes a bag of bread-covered fruit and wallops you upside the face with it

A 2 row and Cascade Pale ale is my go to SMaSH and my most frequently brewed recipe. I make it about every 3rd batch and will adjust the amounts of each based on how I am feeling and how much of each I have on hand.

Back