Young's New World Saison (forgot the sugar in primary)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louisbrewg

Reaction score
Hi there..

I've just completed a lively primary fermentation for a Young's new world saison which I've brewed before with great success. As I was racking it over to another barrel to dry hop...I realized I forgot to add the brewing sugar to the two bags of concentrate at the beginning of the process (step 2). There was a lot of activity in the airlock for over a week.

My questions are:
What is the situation with this batch?
Can I add the brewing sugar to some hot water and then add to the barrell and try to reactivate the fermentation process?

It's already in the new barrel... Off the trub.

Can this be saved? Or have I just brewed a weaker beer?

Any help appreciated

All the best

This is the perfect use of secondary, a second fermentation. You have it right, just dissolve the sugar in hot water and add it to the barrel. The hot water will kill some of the yeast but you will still have plenty to finish fermenting the beer. If the hot water part bothers you, add the sugar to the hot water to dissolve it, let it cool, then add it to the barrel.

I don't know how much sugar you are talking about, but for most Saisons, the sugar is important as it helps to 'dry' out the beer.

As RM-Mn said, just dissolve the sugar in water and add. Recommend heating to at least 160 F, and cooling before adding. there is still plenty of yeast to work on the sugar. Let it ferment out before adding the dry hops.

Thanks everyone... That's what I've done. Boiled the sugar in water... Cooked it and it's more in the barrell.I'll keep you posted as to how it progresses. I'll probably track it over again before I dry hop... Just to get it off the trub once it finishes again.

Thanks everyone... That's what I've done. Boiled the sugar in water... Cooked it and it's more in the barrell.I'll keep you posted as to how it progresses. I'll probably track it over again before I dry hop... Just to get it off the trub once it finishes again.

Don't bother racking it again. With the sugar added you will start a second fermentation which will cause the yeast to produce more CO2 which will protect the beer. Racking it leaves this CO2 behind giving your beer a much higher chance of oxidation or infection. With a little care and a proper racking cane or autosiphon with the cap on the end to keep it raised a little it is easy to leave the trub behind when you bottle or keg the beer.

I was wondering about how racking it again might effect it. Thanks.
This secondary is moving target slowly... Not a great level of activity in the airlock... gurgling intermittently but not very frequently. Once every 40-60 seconds. It's in a warm party of the house.

Do I pitch another sachet of yeast?

This secondary is moving target slowly... Not a great level of activity in the airlock... gurgling intermittently but not very frequently. Once every 40-60 seconds. It's in a warm party of the house.

Do I pitch another sachet of yeast?

Your beer has so much yeast in it now that adding another sachet won't do a thing. Just give it enough time for the yeast that is there to finish.

I'm going to piggy back on this thread ...I've brewed a batch of young 's new world saison and bottled it. I realized a week later that i forgot the priming sugar.

Will this beer remain flat forever or will it eventually develop some fizz if left long enough?

I'm reluctant to start opening bottles to Prime individually.

Any help appreciated

For next time...

First, take a deep breath, sit back, drink a beer, and exercise a healthy dose of patience, whatever that looks like to you. Let the yeast do their job without you micromanaging them, lol. Just giving your a hard time, but do the patience part.

Most of us let our beers ride for two weeks as a standard, sometimes shorter with unique yeast strains, and some longer especially with high ABV beers. Give it two weeks without you bothering it, and you'll be ready to rack off and bottle. I've outlined a way to easily individually prime a bottle of beer; see my signature.

FOR YOUR CURRENT SITUATION: See my last paragraph above, remove the caps, add sugar, give them two weeks at room temp, put two bottles in the fridge for a minimum of two days, then test. They should be carbonated, and your should be fine.

By the way, did you cool the simple syrup to room temperature before pouring it in the fermenting beer?

I should add that the majority of us do not do a secondary unless we are making a fruited or heavily adjunct(ed) beer (like maybe a beer with tea leaves or spices). We bottle or keg directly from the primary to avoid any unnecessary contact with oxygen.

Back