You wont believe the deal I got on a R.I.M.S Keggle System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dane

Reaction score
UPDATE, PICTURES ARE ON 3RD PAGE OF THREADS, F YEAH!

I saw an ad on craigslist for a 'beer machine' for $275 so I called up the guy. He bought a storage unit for $1,000 and trying to get rid of everything inside of it. I drove over immediately to find, well, an awesome kickass RIMS system! He had no idea what anything was but I did! It came complete with;

3 March Pumps
Counterflow Wort Chiller
3 burner single tier burner system
3 keggles (mash tun with wrapped insulation and SS false bottom)(HLT with SS spout)(boil kettle with SS false bottom)
Ports for thermometers, one digital for boil kettle

Also came with mash paddle, 6 gal carboy, hoses, fittings, 50 beer bottles, and a propane tank!

I fired it up tonight and cleaned the pumps, everything works flawlessly. It's raining outside tonight so I will soon post a couple pictures of the setup. I'm selling my old equipment with totals $175 so I pretty much upgraded to a kickass RIMS system for about $100, hahahahaha Im stoked!:rockin:

NEVER! I'm hobo brewer that uses a ladder 3 tier system, it's like I just purchased a Roles Royce, 5 gallon to 10 gallon, plus all the pumps, counterflow, etc are bolted in, all tig welded, everything perfectly ready for brew day. It's a direct heat RIMS, my first experience with pumps, keggles, etc. I'm interested to see how recirculation and sparge operations will go down, I'm doing a cheap brew on tuesday to test her out!

Did you at least try and convince him it's not worth anything and get the price lower? Obviously he did not know what he had.

I could barely control myself, the guy was a moron on what he had. We took a ride to the storage shed and he dug out all sorts of lines, carboy, and parts. He threw it all in. He also had an 8 tap kegerator, 2 co2 heavy duty cylinders, and an 8 piece regulator. The guy who owned the system was a heavy hitter. I almost convinced him to throw in 2 johnson controls, one digital, one analog, but said no. He owns an ebay store so it will be on there shortly. I already have most of this but damn what a find. He told me the guy was in a divorce and could not pay the bills on the storage shed, I now have a great reason to be single, party on Wayne!

Did you at least try and convince him it's not worth anything and get the price lower? Obviously he did not know what he had.

I was thinking the same thing... :)

"Do you seriously think people used this obviously antiquated equipment to make their own beer!?"

Im kinda feeling bad for the other guy. Sounds like he had a lot invested and didn't give it up voluntarily.

Nice score but........

this_thread_is_useless_without_pics.gif

ALRIGHT! I took some pictures of it tonight, here she is! I washed out all the kegs, replaced all the hoses, and cleaned all the fittings. I replaced the analog thermometers with digital. I ran all the pumps tonight to clean them out. The counter flow chiller had all sorts of shizer in it. I'm ready to brew! I do feel bad for the guy who made this system. It sure does look like he put a lot of time, effort, and money into this rig. I hope he has a cold beer in his hand right now. Tuesday is brewday, the classic housebrew centennial blonde. I'm uncertain about the recirculation of the mash tun on top of the grain bed. I feel it could drill a hole in the bed as I'm recirculating and I have a rotating sparge arm that cannot have particulates pass through it. I'm going to position the out-take on the side of the keg to recirculate, let the grain bed set, then sparge. Am I on the right track? Brewday should be interesting, like diving into the deep end with a 20 pound gold necklace, I'm fregn stoked!

tqATX.jpg

CeTmy.jpg

GQFtB.jpg

GQjkO.jpg

IpEGA.jpg

WknvN.jpg

VLd39.jpg

Sweet. Thats a score alright. Thanks for the pics.

It's a direct heat system meaning that the mash tun has a burner under it. It's recirculated through a march pump back on top of the grain bed to keep a constant mash temperature. I'm just unsure about where I put the pump hose in the keggle. If I just drape it in it will drill a hella hole into the bed, my idea was to face it towards the side of the keg to recirculate it back into the mash. I'm new to this kind of system. I may eventually upgrade to a heating element and PID computer but I think this system was made for direct heat. Any info brew gurus?

interesting.. I always thought RIMS required a separate vessel. I'd have just described this as a direct fired MLT. Either way, great score. You can't even buy two of those pumps for that much.

A direct fired MLT with recirculation so in essence it's a RIMS I suppose. I prefer it for it's simplicity. I cannot use my sparge arm, it's a rotating arm that will not, cannot, absolutely will not take fine particles of grain and ****e in the tubing. I'll figure it out eventually. I'd rub it in but the peoples on here are so awesome, thankyou for all your advice, just come to Florida panhandle and drink and stay for free, cheers!

i'd get so lost on that system, far too complicated for my stovetop-partial-boil-extract-with-grains brewing self!

still looks friggen sweet though. I'm not jealous yet, but if i knew how it works i totally would be

Back