you Wisconsin FREAKS!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Wis. festival sells deep-fried testicles

May 13, 2007
ELDERON, Wis. --Around here, it may be tough to pass up anything deep-fried.

Wisconsinites have deep-fried cheese curds, candy bars and Twinkies. They now have deep-fried livestock testicles, too.

More than 300 people paid $5 for all-you-can-eat goat, lamb and bull testicles Saturday at the ninth annual Testicle Festival at Mama's Place Bar and Grill in Elderon in central Wisconsin.

"Once you get over the mental (aspect) of what you're eating, it's just like eating any other food, and it tastes good," Buster Hoffman said.

Festival founder Nancy Fenske said the festival grew out of her late husband Roger's birthday party 12 years ago. They decided to have "a nut fry" at Mama's Place after bringing back lamb fries from a trip to Montana.

The event grew every year and now they fry up to 100 pounds of testicles, she said.

"What else can you do in a small town?" Fenske said.

Butch Joubert, 58, likes the parts sandwiched between bread with tartar sauce. They're not so different from regular meatballs also served at the festival, he said.

"After a few beers, you can't really tell the difference," Joubert said.
dingbat_story_end_icon.gif

http://www.boston.com/news/odd/articles/2007/05/13/wis_festival_sells_deep_fried_testicles/?p1=MEWell_Pos1

MMM... Gotta love those rocky mountain oysters. Occasionally there's a few of those feeds around every year in Iowa too. I always love taking unsuspecting friends from out of town and letting them enjoy some of the finest Midwest oysters. :D Always funny as hell to see the look on their faces when they find out what they really are. I find it hard to believe that not everybody knows what they are yet.

My ex-wife's family had a horse farm and when the vet would come around to geld all the little boy horsies the two farm dogs would hang around the whole time. Why, because as each one was "snipped" the vet would toss them to one of the dogs to eat! I think those dogs would sleep for at least two days afterwards.

More than a couple of years ago, our Farm Reporter was leaving, and to give him a proper sendoff we held a mini "Testicle Festival" on the front drive of the radio station. Deep fried about 50 pounds of hog and turkey testicles for folks to come out and sample. (Hog nuts are huge, turkey nuts are tiny, and no, I have no idea how they got the turkey testes...)

I sampled none, although I hear they taste like liver. Doesn't matter, I hate liver too.

Regardless, we had listeners rolling thru the driveway in a steady stream (pardon the pun) from 6am until the show ended at 9am. The crowning moment was our State Senator showing up with a huge castration tool. (He was a farmer from way back) Most of us couldn't even look at it.

Got rid of all the little nuggets in the end tho.

I still haven't partaken, and unless there's nothing else edible for hundreds of miles, I won't be. :drunk:

Ize

Back