Travels and Finds in Eastern Europe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caver95

Reaction score
So, My wife and I are teaching in Eastern Europe in a country called Moldova, awesome country cheap good wine and Cognac, but the beer absolutely sucks, it all tastes the same like natty light and gives me one hell of a hangover. So I am sticking with Kozel a lovely beer from the Czech Republic and Kvint Cognac.
I have not had a Homebrew since august 13th, but I am finding things out here and will set up to brew some.

A lot of good wines come from this country, I am planning a tour in one of the wineries that has a huge cave cellar, where Yuri Gagarin spent 2 days lost and drunk. EVERYONE makes their own homemade wine and it is usually pretty good.

We had a fall break So the wife and I rented a car and went to Romania. You are most likely thinking Romania WTF. Well I have to say it was one of the best vacations I have ever had. We visited the region of Transylvania, it is breathtaking. We spent our first night at a small B&B that served liters of Vin de Casa, for about 3 dollars, we sat infront of a fire on dead animal pelts it was great. Our second night with we to the city of Brasov, great sights good hiking and an Irish bar that was full of English speakers and they served Guinness I had not had one in a long time it tasted great. We spent a couple of days bumming around the city. We met many other travelers. We rented a room that was recommended in Lonely Planet. The owners are an older Hungarian couple that speak no english other than no problem. We were given a bottle of homemade wine made from the grapes that grew outside our window. We visited a place called Siniaia were we visited Peles castle

http://joshgrobanvolod.wordpress.com/2010/04/01/peles-castle/

Then to Bran Castle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bran_Castle Count Draculas home!

Then to a city called Sibiu Europe's 2007 cultural center of the year. In this city I found something that if sold outside of my apartment would mostly give me a heart attack in a couple of months. A deep fried Gogosi, like a beignet but with a filling. We hit the road again to Sighisoara, the berth place of Vlad the Impaler. on the way we came upon a Roma(Gypsy) camp that was selling handcrafted copper products, I quickly recognised these handcrafted goods as high quality and I should purchase something to help these craftsmen out. The products they were selling are stills. I bought one :) I felt like a real pro at haggling with the gypsies, and knowing my wife would kill me if I spent 200 euro on a still I talked the guy down to $60( I am proud) I know this forum does is not for distilling but I dont think it is against the law in Moldova. It is very pretty and my wife just wants it on display, and I want to put burn marks on the bottom of it. We made it to Sighisoara and found a room(no homemade wine this time) but there is a guy named Teo that makes wine and distills really good brandy, and serves it out of a pipe. 2 shots on an empty stomach made me feel really good and warm. I tried to ask him for some pointers but he pretended not to understand.

So on the road back to Moldova, We drove through the Carpathian Mountains saw show in one of the passes. There is an interesting area that is still mainly Hungarian, they have a fine treat called a Kortos Kalash(spelling???) which is this dough wrapped around a piece of wood the size of a rolling pin coated in sugar and walnuts and turned over a fire, they sell them all along the road and I was sorry I did not stop sooner. then back on the road driving in these mountain roads that are really narrow and often washed out, or have the odd herd of cattle walking along it. then we came to a town and again I flew to the side of the road for more interesting deals. A hardware store had a couple of large Demijohns out front. I got one that looks like it will hold 50 liters for roughly $14, and next I will be looking for a few kilos of honey to make a little mead. So needles to say I am a happy guy:rockin:

Getting close to the boarder and thinking ahead I separated the parts to the still in the chance that customs officials did not appreciate one who likes to make their own drink. The Romanian customs officer asked what the bottom half was for and I said it was a pot, he said he knew that but for what, Me being a quick thinker I said "decoration" So now I am back at home in Chisinau enjoying a little cognac and I felt the need to brag a little about my trip and finds. Noroc (cheers) from Moldova!

Oh, that sounds great! Bob and I were just talking about you the other day, and wondering how you are doing in eastern Europe, so this post came at a great time for us to "catch up" with you.

It sounds like a wonderful trip to Romania, and I'm so jealous!

I assume you'll be managing to find a dive spot?

No dive spots, but the wine more than makes up for it... We had some snow up in the mountains. How are things with you and Bob?

No dive spots, but the wine more than makes up for it... We had some snow up in the mountains. How are things with you and Bob?

We're great. Instead of Panacea this year, we'll be heading to the Texas Gulf coast, about 30 miles north of Corpus Christi. It's supposed to be great kayaking and fishing. Bob sends his greetings to you!

Anyway, what kinds of wines are you drinking over there? I'd be very interested in hearing more about the wines!

Sounds like a nice trip! Eastern Europe is a lot of fun... cheap food and drink all without the hordes of tourists. I bet the Carpathians were nice this time of year.

We're great. Instead of Panacea this year, we'll be heading to the Texas Gulf coast, about 30 miles north of Corpus Christi. It's supposed to be great kayaking and fishing. Bob sends his greetings to you!

Anyway, what kinds of wines are you drinking over there? I'd be very interested in hearing more about the wines!

There are a bunch of wines that have not made it to the US, I am looking to start a business to fix this. There is Cricova, Melestii Micii and a bunch of other ones. We bought bicycles and round to the town of Cojusna, where we followed signs to a winery, we found a small one that the owner of showed us around and got us drunk, and then sold us a bottle out of his private cellar that is as old as me. Russia is a huge consumer of the wines, and they have political spats every now and again, then Russia says "your wine is too poor of quality and cannot be imported" wine to Russia accounts for about 20% of the economy, which is really the GDP is less than Haiti. But so far my favorite cognac is Kvint from this area of Moldova called Transnistria, it is an area that is trying to break away from Moldova, as they are devote Communist and Russia recognizes them but the US does not. The language here is interesting, people speak Romanian and Russian. Alot of times mixing the two in the same sentence so it is difficult learning the language, but we are working on it.

Transylvania was beautiful we were there for the leaves changing.

I found out last night that I have nothing to worry about, distilling spirits for personal consumption is perfectly legal in Moldova, or at least that is what I was told. so let the science experiments begin.

Back