You drink more than you think!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtdigger

Reaction score
Well I've screwed the pooch.
We are having our big fall party this Saturday night. I have a blonde, honey wheat, amber and a brown all on tap ready to go...or so I thought.
The amber is my favorite. I kegged it some time in August and have had a pint hear and there since. I went to get a amber tonight and it started blowing gas...empty!
I'll have to admit, I never checked it, because I just didn't think I had drank it that much.
The party will go on without the amber, but it's my favorite as well as many of my friends. So, this will never happen again as I will always have one brewed on deck.

do you mind sharing your recipe for the amber you like so much?

Here you go. Glacier added at 60 min. Williamette, 2 adds, one at 15 and one at 5.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 75.00 %
1.00 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
1.00 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
1.00 oz Glacier [5.70 %] (60 min) Hops 19.0 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Northwest Ale (Wyeast Labs #1332) [StarterYeast-Ale

dirtdigger said:
Here you go. Glacier added at 60 min. Williamette, 2 adds, one at 15 and one at 5.

Thank you sir, I love glacier hops so I think I'm going to put this at the top of my to brew list, thinking about making the 60 a fwh and maybe a late addition of glacier too.

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G using Home Brew Talk

I disagree, I do NOT drink more than I think. However, I do drink faster than I type and I can type faster than I can think.

;)

They stated on Ken Burn's Prohibition documentery that your average drinker in 2011 drinks about 1/3 of what the average drinker did in pre-Prohibition America. So we have catching up to do!

So have we the last couple months. 3 batches down to maybe 2 bottles of HB left. Burton ale brewing now,wife has to get her summer ale clone going too. When I bottle the Burton ale,I may just go back & brew V2 of my BuckIPA. Gotta get the pipeline going again...

Whenever I have a party coming up, I always make sure that I have at least 5 extra kegs (outside of the normal pipeline) ready to go. I have room for one extra keg in my keezer so if/when one goes dry, I've got an extra one ready to go. My friends are pretty big drinkers, but I don't ever see going through more than 6 kegs at a party.

ehh. I have too much beer at the moment (oh the horror). 3 on tap, another 4 in the fermentation chamber waiting to go on, and finally 4 more 5 gallon batches in primaries or secondaries waiting for kegs to free up! I'm bringing two kegs of homebrew to a college football tailgate this weekend just to get the keg's freed up for my other beers!

And with all of that beer, I still can't keep my house pale ale in great supply. I go through 10 gallons of that in a month.

They stated on Ken Burn's Prohibition documentery that your average drinker in 2011 drinks about 1/3 of what the average drinker did in pre-Prohibition America. So we have catching up to do!

Interesting - Pre-prohibition America produced things like the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, Emancipation Proclamation, National Parks. . .

And after prohibition it's been downhill since. So much for sobriety giving us clear judgment.

What he said! Shame on you for not having one on backup.

Only myself to blame! :(
I got the kegs going earlier this year, finally getting away from the dreaded bottling.
I was feeling pretty good having four beers on tap at once.
I'll get the pipe line built up over the winter and pick up some more kegs.

Dang, that looks good! Might have to give it a try!

looks very similar to the fat tire copy I just tried. it's fermeting away right now.

as for drinking too much or not enough... I decline to comment further on that topic! but I can't seem to keep my brews around for more than about 2 or 3 weeks!

I can keep my bottled ales a bit longer if I have a few batches built up. But I keep noticing that the smoker I drink,the player I get?...;)

That may be true, but in the 1920s it was common to drink in the office all day long. That simply doesn't fly any longer so it's likely we wont be catching up; though i would be the first to try if given the chance!

BlackJaqueJanaviac said:
Interesting - Pre-prohibition America produced things like the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, Emancipation Proclamation, National Parks. . .

And after prohibition it's been downhill since. So much for sobriety giving us clear judgment.

But pre-prohibition America also produced...

PROHIBITION . And we saw how well that went.

You can thank the women of the day for prohibition getting on a roll. You can watch the hilarity ensue on youtube...damn suffragettes! 1st the vote,then ruin everything think it's the right thing but realizing all too late it's the wrong thing,wrong group to attack.
It was the BCB's monopolies that really were to blame. Bars were tied houses,& no middle men.

Bengerman,
But pre-prohibition America also produced...

PROHIBITION . And we saw how well that went.

Good point. Actually it sort of makes some sense that alcohol consumption would be high before prohibition. SOMETHING had to be the driving force behind a push to get an amendment to the Constitution passed.

That may be true, but in the 1920s it was common to drink in the office all day long. That simply doesn't fly any longer so it's likely we wont be catching up; though i would be the first to try if given the chance!

I just bring in my homebrew and tell them its non-alcoholic. Just make labels that say 0.0%! HAHAHAA suckers!

BlackJaqueJanaviac said:
Bengerman,

Good point. Actually it sort of makes some sense that alcohol consumption would be high before prohibition. SOMETHING had to be the driving force behind a push to get an amendment to the Constitution passed.

After watching ken burns' prohibition series, I think that serious alcohol reform was definitely called for at the time. Prohibition was probably more than was necessary, and definitely had some negative consequences, but something did need to change.

IIRC, per capita consumption of alcohol in the 1820-1840 era was about FOUR TIMES higher than it is today, and that is when the temperance movement got underway. Like most things in history, makes sense once you see the context.

"All your home brew are belong to us!"

My beer spontaneously evaporates too... Let me know if you find a solution to the problem!

Back