Yet another water help request

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wlssox524

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm brewing a relatively simple IPA tomorrow and still can't figure out the whole water thing. My tap water is bad so I'm starting with distilled water. I have nothing I'm trying to build towards; just something basic and suitable for a pale hoppy beer. Unfortunately all I have on hand is calcium carbonate, gypsum, and household basics like salt. My grains are already crushed and contain 2% acidulated malt.

Given that I won't be able to go to my LHBS for any other salts, what's my best bet for this?
I tried to figure out with the ez water calculator but ended up more confused

If starting with distilled water, you would find that the finished beer had little character. Adding gypsum is highly recommended to add calcium and sulfate. Its the sulfate that enhances the drying perception and bitterness that is a typical characteristic of an IPA. A modest gypsum addition that results in about 200 ppm sulfate would be a good starting point. If using EZ, you just start with all zeros for your starting water and then add gypsum until it says you are producing about 200 ppm SO4.

Thanks for your reply. Right now my plan is to add 14 g of gypsum (between the mash and sparge) and 5 g of baking soda. This gives me 206 ppm of Sulfate. My two concerns:

-magnesium is at 0 (vs 10-30 recommended per Palmer)
-Chloride is 0--is the chloride/sulfate ratio too far out of whack?

12 grams gypsum, 4 grams calcium chloride, 4 grams epsom salts, 4 grams baking soda.

I am no expert, but this is what I will be adding to my distilled water tomorrow to brew an IPA. I have done this before and been just fine.

Check this out:

http://www.ezwatercalculator.com/

12 grams gypsum, 4 grams calcium chloride, 4 grams epsom salts, 4 grams baking soda.

I am no expert, but this is what I will be adding to my distilled water tomorrow to brew an IPA. I have done this before and been just fine.

Check this out:

http://www.ezwatercalculator.com/

OK. Sorry. Too many homebrews. Didn't notice that you have tried the link I gave you already.

If you need Magnesium, I think that is what Epsom salts provide and you should be able to get them from a local pharmacy.

Thanks for your reply. Right now my plan is to add 14 g of gypsum (between the mash and sparge) and 5 g of baking soda. This gives me 206 ppm of Sulfate. My two concerns:

-magnesium is at 0 (vs 10-30 recommended per Palmer)
-Chloride is 0--is the chloride/sulfate ratio too far out of whack?

Why are you adding baking soda? Is the mash pH going to be too low? An IPA may not need the alkalinity provided by baking soda unless you are adding a LOT of hardness.

You don't need to add magnesium unless you want the sour, bitterness that Mg provides. I think its welcome in an IPA. The Palmer recommendations are outdated. Malt provides all the Mg needed for yeast health.

Adding chloride would be welcome, but we were talking simple, right? If you want to do things right, I suggest using Bru'n Water and look at the water profiles that it contains. There is a Pale Ale profile that is proven.

Back