Yet another thread about stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majd

Reaction score
Hi,
I brewed a strong ale with OG=1.88. Made a good size starter, fermentation temp started at 62F and cranked up to 68 adding a degree or two every day. After reaching 68 I stopped at that and kept the beer in the primary on the yeast (Wyeast# 3522).
After two weeks this beer is at 1.32. The air lock stopped moving after 10 to 12 days of the fermentation, the grain bill I have little of cara red and little of aromatic malt, not much for un fermentables and no ad-junks except sugar. I tasted the sample from the hydrometer it tasted little too sweet for me. Any idea if this beer is done or I got stuck fermentation on my hand?

Aromatic malt 3%
Wheat malt 4%
Munich Malt 4%
Sugar 4%
Cara red 5%
Pilsner 2 row 80%

Keep in mind that you will end with a higher FG based on the high OG of your beer. I would leave it in the FV for 1 more week and take a reading. If there is a change in your reading, wait a couple days and take another reading to determine if fermentation is complete. As long as your SG is stable, you are ready to bottle/keg. IMO the yeast is still at work, and you will need at least 3 weeks minimum before it will be ready. Good Luck.

(Also, as a correction, I believe you meant 1.088 and 1.032 in your above post)

Unless you mashed very very hot then 1.032 is a really high F.G. even considering the high O.G. I would give it another week or so and take another reading. If it is still at 1.032 then I would swirl it around and heat it up to 70 or so (hell, you can just do this now if you want--won't hurt anything). If it still won't go down, I might pitch some new yeast just to make sure everything is actually finished.

Hi,
I brewed a strong ale with OG=1.88. Made a good size starter, fermentation temp started at 62F and cranked up to 68 adding a degree or two every day. After reaching 68 I stopped at that and kept the beer in the primary on the yeast (Wyeast# 3522).
After two weeks this beer is at 1.32. The air lock stopped moving after 10 to 12 days of the fermentation, the grain bill I have little of cara red and little of aromatic malt, not much for un fermentables and no ad-junks except sugar. I tasted the sample from the hydrometer it tasted little too sweet for me. Any idea if this beer is done or I got stuck fermentation on my hand?

Aromatic malt 3%
Wheat malt 4%
Munich Malt 4%
Sugar 4%
Cara red 5%
Pilsner 2 row 80%

Just to double check, you're using a hydrometer, and not a refractometer, for the FG reading?

Unless you mashed very very hot then 1.032 is a really high F.G. even considering the high O.G. I would give it another week or so and take another reading. If it is still at 1.032 then I would swirl it around and heat it up to 70 or so (hell, you can just do this now if you want--won't hurt anything). If it still won't go down, I might pitch some new yeast just to make sure everything is actually finished.

jro238, and Brew ny; you both are right I did mash on a higher temperature than my normal practice I did this time a 156 F mash.

jro238, and Brew ny; you both are right I did mash on a higher temperature than my normal practice I did this time a 156 F mash.

That's probably why the high FG, then. That would be a reasonable FG (1.032) for a 1.088 OG if mashed at 156.

Higher mash temperatures mean a thicker, fuller-bodied beer with more long-chained sugars (hence a higher FG). It does sound like that is what happened.

That's probably why the high FG, then. That would be a reasonable FG (1.032) for a 1.088 OG if mashed at 156.

Higher mash temperatures mean a thicker, fuller-bodied beer with more long-chained sugars (hence a higher FG). It does sound like that is what happened.

That makes all the sense. But I was expecting more malty flavor rather than sweetness. What I’m I missing here?

I designed the recipe on BeerSmith and the software estimated it to be 1.015. PS; (My apology for keep stating gravity missing one zero, 1.88 and 1.32)

I was reading threads on here about Pilsner and big Belgian beers

and it appears to get a lower FG most are mashing at 145 -149 for 90 min and a 90 min boil to drive off DMS

all the best

S_M

Back