Yet another MLT build...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boneshb

Reaction score
Before I start, I need to thank FlyGuy, and recommend you check his build if your interested in building one...

So here goes...
I was walking through Wallymart and found this baby on sale for $12.99
IMG00009-20100203-1141.jpg

Couldnt pass it up for that price... Only down side was there was no spigot/drain.

Next, I picked up the supplies that FlyGuy recommended
- ½” x 12” (actually I got 3/4") braided stainless steel supply hose
- 3/8” female barb adapter (Watts A-298)
- 5/8” stainless steel washer (Found mine at Ace for 49cents)
- 3/8” MIP x 1-1/2” brass nipple (Watts A-786)
- 5/8” O-ring (Pulled out of end of supply hose)
- 3 x 5/8” fender washers
- 3/8” threaded ball valve
- 3/8” male barb adapter (Watts A-294)
- 1/2" copper joiner (trying this to keep the braid from collapsing)
IMG00010-20100203-1145.jpg

Since there was no Spigot...
IMG00011-20100203-1145.jpg

I used a 3/4"spade bit and made one...
IMG00012-20100203-1150.jpg

After the hole was drilled, I pulled the rubber washer out of the supply hose
IMG00013-20100203-1152.jpg

Assembled the components that go on the inside of the cooler...
IMG00014-20100203-1155.jpg

Then cut the supply line (actually used a dull steak knife, my garage is a mess and its too cold outside to dig around) and pulled the inner hose out. Then, to try and avoid a stuck sparge, I but a 1/2"x1/2" copper coupler in the middle of the hose...
IMG00016-20100203-1208.jpg

After that, I attached the braid to the nipple with a zip tie
IMG00017-20100203-1209.jpg

At this point, only 10 minutes into the project, I was finished!
But no, I couldnt leave well enough alone, and found some insulation wrap in the basement from another project... Out came the double sided tape.
IMG00019-20100203-1227.jpg

And before too long...
IMG00020-20100203-1302.jpg

I havent tried it out yet, its currently sitting over the sink with some hot water in it for a test.
I know its ugly as sin, but for about $26.00, I cant complain!
Sorry about the quality of the pics, took them with the blackberry

Nice build, FWIW, I use a 20" SS braid for my MLT, and brew 10 gallon batches, my last grainbill was 21 lbs, my braid did not collapse.

I thought the same thing about the longer braid, used this one only because I had it and was originally going to use a 5 gallon round cooler

Blackberry or not, pictures really are worth a thousand words. Thanks for the write up!

-Tripod

The only thing that bothers me about this build is the placement of the valve. I had all the opportunities in the world to place it perfectly, and I might have done it a little high. Oh well, I'll just prop the opposite side up a little I suppose

Hey, thanks for that advise! I dont know why I didnt think of that... I'll set that up later

not necessarily. if you can get a siphon going (with a tube attached to the valve on the outside) the water level would be below the braid.

No, as soon as the water reaches the top of the braid, it will allow air into the line, breaking the siphon.

The copper tubing runs along the bottom of the cooler like 2 inches, crimp the end, drill a few holes in the bottom of the tube, clamp the braid over it. Very little deadspace. Air will not hit the drain until there's like 1/8" of wort at the bottom.

The copper tubing runs along the bottom of the cooler like 2 inches, crimp the end, drill a few holes in the bottom of the tube, clamp the braid over it. Very little deadspace. Air will not hit the drain until there's like 1/8" of wort at the bottom.

That's exactly why I prefer manifolds to braids. Less dead space.

Could you please post a pick? I'd like to see that if you don'y mind posting them...

Back