Yet Another Kettle Size Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auburntsts

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So for those that purchased a 15 gal BK/MLT/HLT AG setup to be able to do both 5 and 10 gal batches, was it worth it? IOW are you finding that you do enough 10 gal batches to warrant the 15 gal tank size? Cost really isn't an issue for me per se, but I also believe in selecting the right tool for the job and don't want to buy a sledge hammer to drive a tack. Being honest I can't see brewing 10 gal batches that often, but I also realize that simply having the available capacity could change that -- decisions, decisions. :smack:

Worth it, is hard to say. The price difference wasn't that huge for me. I can tell you that I regret buying 15 because just like you I figured it would be perfect for 5-gallon batches including High Gravity and here and there I would make some 10g batches. The problem is a 10 gallon batch in 15 gallons I can only use about 20 22 lbs of grain. I get away with that because I only boil for 45 minutes. 20 gallons I think would have been the right size and maybe honestly even larger to do 15 gallon batches. If you want to no sparge 10-gallon batches a 15 gallon Kettle is not the right size. If you are going to sparge I think it would be ok. If you are only going to do 5, I feel 10 is too small but many don't. I like head space, others need smaller profile. Hope this helps.

This is a question that has no pat answers. !5 gallon kettle will make a10 gallon batch but you must watch it closely or you will have boil overs. If you like to relax and brew a 20 gallon kettle is the answer. why dont you pick up a 10 gallon kettle for small batches and a20 for the larger ones. That is a expensive way to go but it will work much smoother. Cheers!

Agree that many answers can pour into this question. I have purchased 15gal HLT/MT/BK but brew mostly 5-6.5 gallons. I do brew 10gal occasionally so I like the extra headspace for 5-6.5gal batches in the BK

Back