yet ANOTHER friggin hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they should seriously sell them in three packs.

you can always get a refractometer to help with before fermentation readings.
I dont trust them for post fermentation FG readings.

After my son smashed mine halfway threw my first brew, it stays in its case when not in beer. I have only bought 2 in a year of brewing

I could say I have the same one after 14 years-but- would then have to admit I took 13 years off:D

broke my first one before i even got to use it . 10 mins later i had 3 ordered off Amazon on the way .

I feel your pain, I have had the same one for over 20 years. Now after saying that I will probably break it tomorrow. I did got a refractometer to take the pressure off that glass thing.

Lost count of how many I have knocked the bottom out of, now and then I forget and drop it in the sample cylinder, or in the storage tube.
3 packs is an excellent idea

I've been using a refractometer for quite awhile now......the readings match my hydrometer... Which, believe it or not, I've had for close to 15 years now! I prefer the refractometer, mainly because a drop of whatever I'm working with is all I need.

I've been using a refractometer for quite awhile now......the readings match my hydrometer... Which, believe it or not, I've had for close to 15 years now![...]

Aww...and here I was gonna brag that I'm still using a 12 year old hydro (yes, it is glass ;) )

Kudos for the mad handling skilz! :mug:

After my third broken hydrometer, I just gave up on them. When I can I'll get a refractometer, but for now I'm just shootin' from the hip, giving plenty of time for ferment and letting the end result speak for itself. I have to say it's a little bit freeing. My beers have been tasty and it's kind of fun not worrying about the ABV or the FG or anything like that. Less quantitative and more qualitative. It stokes my left brain... or is that right brain? Whichever one I don't usually use as a programmer and DBA.

Ok, you just know there's a coder or DBA joke in there somewhere, right?

Cheers! ;)

What, you mean like "Why is a DBA the best party planner? Because he can join all the tables and group the results!"

In all seriousness, there is no such thing as a good DBA joke.

I store mine in the wine thief I pull samples with and read the hydrometer in the thief. I rinse it in there as well. It never leaves the thief. My breakage has reduced significantly.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back