Yet another critique my recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullet6577

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just ordered a few pounds of 2016 hops, because why not? Trying to put something together for a simple brew day based on easy measurements and what can be had online.

So far I have this:

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.050
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.059
Final Gravity: 1.009
ABV (standard): 6.57%
IBU (tinseth): 44.55
SRM (morey): 9.2

FERMENTABLES:
10 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (83.3%)
1 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (8.3%)
.5 lb - Cane Sugar (8.3%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 23.4
0.5 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 8.29
0.5 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 5.81
0.5 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 3.33
0.5 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 2.33
1 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

Planned mash temp is around 150°F
With the sugar and low mash temp I figure it will end up fairly dry and I'm good with that

Anyone see anything completely wrong with this?

Thanks

Personal preference, but I'd drop the Crystal 60 entirely, or at least get it down to <5% of the grain bill. I'd replace it with some Munich for malt character without the crystal sweetness. But that's what I like. One thing I've learned about beer is that everyone likes something different.

I don't see anything completely wrong with it.

I would replace some of the 2-row with light Munich malt. It will give it that bready malty goodness a pale ale should have without adding sweetness and keeping it fermentable. I would also lose the cane sugar, dial back the crystal (color, amount, or preferably both), and rely on the munich, I too prefer my beers pretty dry.

Changed it up a bit based on the feedback so far (added some munich and dropped the crystal and cane sugar), hops stay the same

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.059
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 6.49%
IBU (tinseth): 44.49
SRM (morey): 5.62

FERMENTABLES:
10 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (83.3%)
2 lb - American - Munich - Light 10L (16.7%)

If you have the time don't be scared to mash at a lower temp say 146F for 90 minutes, I prefer the mash temp extremes and use them all the time. I've never had a problem with low mash temps making my beers "flabby". Cheers.

If you have the time don't be scared to mash at a lower temp say 146F for 90 minutes, I prefer the mash temp extremes and use them all the time. I've never had a problem with low mash temps making my beers "flabby". Cheers.

Especially with two lbs of crystal. mash low!!

Back