Yes, we have no bananas!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griffi

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We have no banana today, because I temp controlled (probe inside brewbucket) my hefe (recipe below) at 64F and didn't let it rise. I guess I had read I would get a mix of clove and nanners but kegged it today and sadly, it's got clove and some tartness but AFAI can tell, no :ban:
Oh well, it does taste OK. I bottle conditioned a 12pack, but don't spose those are going to be any different... oh and it finished 3pts lower than I was hoping but it'll be drank nonetheless.

IMG_1996.PNG

I had an interesting discussion with a multi-award winning home brewer recently, and his approach to his wheat beers (hefe and dunkles) is to brew them MUCH warmer that Jamil says in BCS--try it again low-mid 70s. I know that's sacrilege, but I've had wheat beers fermented at this temperature (and higher...) with WLP300, and it's pretty much exactly what you seem to be looking for.

I think I will try my next one a tad warmer. But, I have to say, after adjusting the keezer temp and serving a couple on the weekend, there is a little banana and clove in there. I don't know what the ideal serving temp is but not 37F.... In short it turned out to be a good beer and pretty close to what I was looking for.

Cool end of the fermentation range for clove, higher end for bananas.
Not all the hefeweizen yeasts are created equal, though. My first try was WLP351 which was strong with clove - so I went to WLP320 for a second attempt and got less cloves and banana, just as advertised.
Another hint - add a finishing hop with a moderately higher alpha acid content. It will do wonders for your foam.

Back