yes..another fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettcope

Reaction score
Hello all,

newer brewer here. popping first post cherry here.

I brewed a high fermentables concoction.......pitched yeast from starter and almost instantly my airlock was going crazy.....but after 20 hours no activity.......also the bucket was very warm to touch. There were several other buckets next to this new brew and all of them felt cooler... more indicative of being at room temp. So, I assume the warmer bucket temp was related to prior vigerous yeast activity.

So, have any of you seen this occurance.......rapid onset of ferm, done bubbling after 20 hours, very warm temps of wort (almost hot). Now its day 4 so when should i take sg measurements. thanks

Yes you should...That's the only way to know what's going on. Airlocks don't really mean anything.

Fermentation is not always "dynamic," just because you don't SEE anything happening, doesn't mean that any-thing's wrong,, and also doesn't mean that the yeast are still not working diligently away, doing what they've been doing for over 4,000 years.

That's why you need to take a gravity reading to know how your fermentation is going, NOT go by airlocks, or size of krausen, or a calendar, the horoscope or the phases of the moon (those things in my mind are equally accurate).

I would suggest getting a cheap stick on thermometer for your fermenters so you won't be guessing how hot they are. What temp was the wort when you pitched and what is the ambient temperature of the room? I've had some fast fermentations before that turned out fine but you'll have to worry about a strong alcoholic taste.

Back