Yellow Transparents in cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finn

Reaction score
Howdy! Anybody familiar with the Yellow Transparent/Lodi cultivars as cider apples? I've put up 42 quarts of Lodi squeezin's (so far) and am right now trying to turn 12 of them into cider, using champagne yeast (I had to add about three cups of sugar to get the potential alcohol up to 8 percent, though.)

Other varieties I'm looking forward to are gravenstein, red and yellow delicious and a mystery apple that's a really good eater. Four of my 12 apple trees are red delicious! So this winter I'm going to be turning two of them into different varieties through grafting. Any advice about varieties to pick for good snappy cider would be most appreciated!

--Finn

I prefer tart/baking apples for cider. But the elks have eaten my apples every year since I moved to Oregon, so I get my juice from an orchard, which means sweet varieties. I have a mystery tree also, but it isn't tall enough to keep the fruit away from the critters!

You might want to look into some russets if you're looking specifically for cider apples... from what I've heard, around here in New England, the Russet and Gravenstein are cider favorites...

david_42 said:
I prefer tart/baking apples for cider. But the elks have eaten my apples every year since I moved to Oregon, so I get my juice from an orchard, which means sweet varieties. I have a mystery tree also, but it isn't tall enough to keep the fruit away from the critters!

In Willamina, I can see where elk would be a problem! I'm lucky, sort of, to be in the middle of a whole bunch of depredation-controlled farmland. I never see deer.

Thanks for the info! I'll keep y'all posted on how the stuff turns out.

Back