yeasty cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fendermallot

Reaction score
I made a batch of cider a few months ago. 5 gallons of an unfiltered juice. Added just about a cup of dextrose and a tablespoon of acid blend to the mix. I used Montrachet for the yeast. After bottling and 3 weeks in the bottle the cider is finished. Even though I added less priming sugar that I usually do, it is very effervescent.

My main problem though, is that it is very yeasty in smell and flavor. Not horrible, but noticeable. Even after sitting in the refrigerator for many hours. is there a way to prevent this in future batches?

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!

I made a batch of cider a few months ago. 5 gallons of an unfiltered juice. Added just about a cup of dextrose and a tablespoon of acid blend to the mix. I used Montrachet for the yeast. After bottling and 3 weeks in the bottle the cider is finished. Even though I added less priming sugar that I usually do, it is very effervescent.

My main problem though, is that it is very yeasty in smell and flavor. Not horrible, but noticeable. Even after sitting in the refrigerator for many hours. is there a way to prevent this in future batches?

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!

How long did it sit in primary? Try transferring to a secondary sooner next time.

sat in primary 4-5 weeks. Not much longer. I did use an unfiltered juice where I usually don't. Every batch I've made with unfiltered juice has had this happen.

3 weeks in the bottle probably still has the carb yeast floating around...

Latest posts

Back