Yeasty bite after kegging IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spank13

Reaction score
So this is the second time this has happened.

Background: All grain recipe, both with WLP001 using a fast ferment. 3 week fermentation. After pulling the first bit of trub, I let it continue to roll for another ten days. Fermentation finished around 1.08, OG was 1.062.

Sample tasted great. Cold crashed. Carbed it in a keg. First pull had that yeast bite to it (not to mention the weird head that didn't really drop). Let it sit for a few days and it happened again. Decided to clarify it with gelatin, and it probably knocked about 80% of that yeastyness away, but it is still prevalent.

I used the yeast cake and dumped it on a session IPA and it is stellar, so I do not believe it to be an infection.

So what can be done? Should I pull the keg out of the keezer and let it warm up and age? Will any remaining suspended yeast do it's thing after carbing? As I mentioned, this is the second time this has happened when using the fast ferment. The first time I suspected some sort of infection but I was a n00b and the fact that the reused yeast batch is great steers me away from that... I will drink it, not happily, but was looking for suggestions as I have about 4 gallons left.

Its normally for the first pint or two to be murky. Especially if you cold crashed in a keg. Its just the remaining sediment falling out of suspension.

I'd say pour a couple pints and see if it looks visibly clearer and if the taste improves.

If it is truly a yeast derived flavor you are getting then it won't go away until its all out of suspension and the beer is clear. The only way to clear the beer is with time lagering or using fining products. Each time you move the keg you will reintroduce yeast sediment into suspension.

Do you have a photo of your beer?

If you are serving on low pressure and pushed a large plug of yeast through your lines there is a chance you have sediment in your lines that is slowly working its way out so you could check that as well.

View attachment 371729
Thanks all for the feedback. I use whirlfloc in the boil and on this batch, i did a gelatin fining. I've poured quite a few beers, giving a few days rest in between and have not noticed a dramatic change since the first real pour after the gelatin. The beer has gotten "better" but I've lost all of the hop nose by degassing it. (El dorado and Mosaic wasted)
I am starting to wonder if I just had bad luck with force carbing. I ran out of gas when I went to keg this with no back up, it sat in the keg for a few hours before I was able to burp it. Then i cold crashed it. And got it back on gas late the next day. So this part of the brew was way out of the norm. I may have also force carbed it too high, as I had a gathering I was trying to get the beer ready for. (I normally do 35, 25, 15, then a few days at my normal pressure then serving pressure). It will be interesting to see what the bottom of the keg looks like when all is said and done.
I've decided that I am confident the base recipe doesn't suck, and I'm going to try it again this week. And hope I don't end up with another 5 gals of meh beer I have to drink myself.

Are you sure the "bite" is from yeast and not from carbonic acid/speed carbing? Either way it should dissipate over time, but there are lots of potential sources of astringency or "bite".

I'm not sure, especially after it has faded and bit and considering it appeared after carbing.

Well a few weeks later and this beer is still off... in the same way. Currently just blending it with one of my other beers to drain it...

Latest posts

Back