yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WLP002 and Nottingham are my favorites.

Sent from my C5155 using Home Brew mobile app

Ok so I tried Notty with a high O. G. 1.090

After a few weeks bubbles stopped and S. G. is 1.040

Is it stalled? Or perhaps the BAC is too high for the Notty?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

BAC? The cider can have a blood alcohol level? Maybe ABV? :D

How is your yeast pitching rate? Fermentation temperature?

Notty should be able to take it down lower than 1.040. Perhaps adding some nutrients, giving the carboy a good shake, and raising the temperature into the mid to upper sixties will get things going again. In the future if you are making batches larger than a couple of gallons with an OG that high you should consider making a yeast starter or pitching an additional packet of yeast.

I've used several strains of wine yeast & ale yeast, but Nottingham is my fav. Never failed me yet & I brew some high ABV ciders (9.0%). Might be you need to add some nutrients, or it could be a PH issue.
Regards, GF.

I did start with nutrients and a starter. Maybe shoulda used a second packet. I racked it into the secondary and it seems to be starting up again. I just need the basement to warm up a bit. Thanks. BAC ABV ha ha!

I like champagne yeast and have been warming up to a white labs cider yeast. But at .33 dollars a pack vs 8 dollars is noticeable.

Just split a packet of notty between two one-gallon ciders, OGs 1.090 and 1.094. Fermented on top of fridge at 73, two weeks later, FG 1.015 and 1.009. Give it time, and you should go lower than 1.040.

Thanks. Yeah it's going slowin the basement now. Still 60 Deg. F down there I'm in no hurry.

Us 04 and Nottingham mostly but I also like using the white labs cider yeast it has a high alchol tolerance.

Notty should be able to take it down lower than 1.040. Perhaps adding some nutrients, giving the carboy a good shake, and raising the temperature into the mid to upper sixties will get things going again. In the future if you are making batches larger than a couple of gallons with an OG that high you should consider making a yeast starter or pitching an additional packet of yeast.

This is the 2nd time I've heard of shaking the carboy to get the fermentation going. I'm new to brewing cider but have been brewing beer for a while now. Shaking the carboy is a big "no-no" for beer brewing. Should I be less worried about oxidation during primary fermentation with cider?

This is the 2nd time I've heard of shaking the carboy to get the fermentation going. I'm new to brewing cider but have been brewing beer for a while now. Shaking the carboy is a big "no-no" for beer brewing. Should I be less worried about oxidation during primary fermentation with cider?

At that OG you have a long way to go in that fermentation. OK with cider.... oxidation after fermentation is a concern, but I have never had that happen to me....

I don't think you have as big of a risk with oxidation in the primary since it's co2 saturated. I think nutrients and swirl sounds like viable method of correction

Sent from my SM-N900P using Home Brew mobile app

I've been using red star champagne, and most folks like it fine. It's been way over 10% which everyone seems to dig. I'm curious to know what kind of abv you guys get out of safelle 04? I'm interested in keeping the high abv, but wouldn't mind keeping more of the apple character and maybe not feel like I have to add any concentrate to my very humble (but successful ) brew.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I just tasted my finished batch of hard cider with nottingham ale yeast. VERY happy with the result. Plus, it was crystal clear in about 5 weeks. Great flocculation with this yeast for me.

i've currently got 3 gallons going with nottingham, and 3 gallons with brett. b. we'll see how they turn out, i'm hoping the brett version will be nice and sour.

i've currently got 3 gallons going with nottingham, and 3 gallons with brett. b. we'll see how they turn out, i'm hoping the brett version will be nice and sour.

What is the risk that once you get Brett in your cellar, bucket or bottles that you'll always have Brett in everything?

Back