Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikechi

Reaction score
I tried searching for this topic but fell short.I bought my batch of materials for my next brew and I have a white labs yeast.I bought it cold in the fridge and forgot to throw mine in when I got home.I planned on starting when my wheat was ready for bottling and I decided to give it more time.Well I left the yeast in room temp. for a week now and planned on starting this next batch on Tuesday.What are my options with this yeast?Is it bad?

Thank you for any help

While not ideal, it's probably fine. While it's recommended you make a starter with liquid yeast anyway, this is a perfect situation where you really should. If you make a starter and the yeast are still viable, they will reproduce and build up in numbers so that you can pitch and have little to worry about. Obviously, there's a slight chance that you will make a starter and nothing will happen, but if the yeast was at room temp only and not subject to high 80+ temps it should be just fine.

Marubozo's right on. If you make a starter--it'll allow you to build up their numbers. It'll also allow you to test for viability. If you get growth, you'll know they're alive and kicking. And you won't risk pitching bad yeast... though again, like Marubozo says... they're probably fine.

Back