Yeast that's included with kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeTaps

Reaction score
Hey brewers,

So I'm wondering what types of yeast that come in kits qualify for the "don't pitch with that yeast...it's no good" scenario. Every kit I've bought from either HBO, AHS, or NB all have come with either liquid yeast (which I know is good, since I paid extra :) ) or the Danstar Munich yeast. Now, as far as I know, that's a pretty decent yeast, yes?

So what is a "bad" yeast? Pics and/or names are appreciated. Thanks!

I think this is one of those lingering myths...

Modern yeast packets are usually stable for a decent amount of time. The problem comes with extended storage at improper temps. (I know at my LHBS, kits are stored room temp). I think if you find a supplier who sells alot of kits and therefore rotates stock on a regular basis, you shouldn't have many problems with any particular strains.

Although... Someone with experience may have a diff opinion. I typically use smack packs.

Some of those "kit & kilo" kits come with Munton's. That's not too terrible, except even the manufacturer says not to use their yeast with "all malt" kits. Well, if you ditch the corn sugar to make the beer better, then they are saying that their yeast won't ferment it fully. So, you need to buy a more attenuative yeast.

The kits that come from the online homebrew stores, and even the Brewer's Best kits, come with pretty dependable dry yeast.

I usually use liquid, Danstar, and Safale, but the handful of brews I made with Muntons yeast turned out just fine.

As yooper said the "don't use the yeast that comes with a kit is about the old can kits. Back in the old days, before there were tons of online and local HBS we used to often get ingredients from healthfood stores etc. These often included kits like cooper's or munton's that were just a can of prehopped LME with a packet of yeast glued to the end of the can. They may well have been sitting on the shelf for 6 months.

The advice doesn't apply to custom made kits put together by a homebrew shop. Those kits are often proven recipes and even when they are made up ahead of time they rarely put the yeast in the kit until after your purchase it.

Back