yeast temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyekaps

Reaction score
Uh oh...I read my thermometer wrong when I added yeast into my wort. The recipe I have calls for adding the yeast once the temperature of the wort gets below 80 degrees, but I put it in at a little over 90 degrees and then sealed the fermenter shut. (I realized afterward that I misread my thermometer). Its been about 2 and a half days so far and there's now a lot of sludge floating on the top and I can see condensation forming on the inside of my plastic lid. Is this normal? Or did I totally ruin my first batch? I guess I'm wondering if the wrong temperature may have killed my yeast. Also, I can smell what seems to be the scent of beer coming through the tiny little holes on the top of my airlock if I get close to it. Does that mean I put it on wrong, or is it meant to release gases without letting any air in? Any advice would help at this point. I just want to know if I should keep going with this one, or start over with a new batch.

If you can see a goodly thick layer of foamy sludge at the top of your brew, chances are the yeast's doing its thang.

If you have an airlock, it should be bubbling every so often. The bubbling should start about 12-24 hours after pitching the yeast, bubble very frequently for a couple of days and then over the course of a week, the bubbles should drop off to almost nothing.

And yes, the Airlock is specifically designed to keep oxygen and air contaminates away from your beer. When the fermenting's going on the yeast should be releasing carbon dioxide. This is what should be bubbling out of your airlock.

Sounds like you're doing OK for the moment.

thanks! I feel a little better now. This is my first time brewing so I'm a bit unsure about what I'm doing!

Latest posts

Back