Yeast Strains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browning348

Reaction score
So when I started making very simple wine from welch's concentrate about a year ago I started with bakers yeast and quickly moved to ec1118 for the simple fact that it was the first that popped up on my Amazon search. I've stuck with it because it's been reliable and made some pretty tasty wines even though it is referred to as a champagne yeast. But I am curious to how different strains and brands change the taste of the wine. If I'm just a casual consumer and give some away for Christmas is it worth spending the money on different strains that I haven't used in my environment?

Here is a chart of several of the more common used yeasts, http://www.lalvinyeast.com/strains.asp click on the image of the packet and a window will open up giving you detailed description and the characteristics that it can bring to your wine.
Lallemand use to have a real nice "cellar" option detailing all of it's yeasts and the grapes that they best suited, but it appears that they are updating their website.
You can get so much more from the premium yeasts used commercially, I've tried a good number of them and I'm highly impressed with some of them.

What about brands? Are any superior to others or do they just yield a different final product?

I like Lalvin and/or Lallemand, I've had nothing but positive results.
Do yourself a major favor and download Scott Labs Fermentation Handbook, it is a wealth of knowledge, even pairing Yeasts with grape varietals, followed by a detail description of the yeast and which characteristics it can bring out of a grape/wine, not to mention Yeast best practices, from hydrating properly to stuck fermentations and Malolactic fermentation.
It would take years of experience to amass all of the knowledge in this book.
Download it here: http://www.scottlab.com/pdf/ScottLabsHandbook2014.pdf

I hope that this helps.

I like Lalvin and/or Lallemand, I've had nothing but positive results.
Do yourself a major favor and download Scott Labs Fermentation Handbook, it is a wealth of knowledge, even pairing Yeasts with grape varietals, followed by a detail description of the yeast and which characteristics it can bring out of a grape/wine, not to mention Yeast best practices, from hydrating properly to stuck fermentations and Malolactic fermentation.

I hope that this helps.

Thanks for the link, have been meaning to check that out :cool:

Dont forget...the yeast CAN affect taste, but putting high end yeast into Welches grape juice isnt going to turn it into a $200 bottle of fine french bordeaux.

Different strains of yeasts, when coupled with the right grape (or other fruit) will produce different flavor profile.

GIGO

DoctorCad is correct, I'm referencing Making wine from fresh grapes and juice buckets.
damdaman, this is a decent overview of those yeasts, Jack Keller is an invaluable resource, but once you get into the premium yeasts, the characteristics that a yeast can bring into, or out of a wine is amazing, for example:
I really enjoy Cabernet Sauvingnon and Bordeaux blends, I usually use BDX (Bordeaux Yeast) this will produce a Cab Sav that is more traditional -Highly Concentrated Fruit, Firm Tannins – Full bodied and dense with loads of fruit flavors and ample tannins (aging softens the tannins, and produces nice fruit flavors), this past season on the recommendation of a really good friend and great winemaker, I split 30 gallons of cab into two 15 gallon batches, one fermented with BDX, and the other with RP 15 yeast; the first time that I tasted it was after it fermented dry and Malolactic fermentation completed, before racking it from the demijohn to the barrel, I was extremely surprised to taste an amazing Cab, very much fruit forward, great fruit flavor that jumps out at you, it almost gave me the sensation of natural sweetness (it was fermented to .990), I could have drank it right then and there! The first thing that the few people that have tasted it said was things like "dangerous", "party wine", and they all have wanted some...lol, fast forward approx 2 months in a barrel, and the intense fruit and sweetness has subsided a little, and it remains a great wine, it still has over a year to age, 8 months of that will be in the barrel.
This is just one example of what different yeasts can do, but remember the most important part of any wine is getting the best fruit available.

damdaman, this is a decent overview of those yeasts, Jack Keller is an invaluable resource, but once you get into the premium yeasts, the characteristics that a yeast can bring into, or out of a wine is amazing

The poster states they're a "casual user" just trying to get their feet wet. Doesn't sound like they're interested in delving into the intricacies of premium yeasts at this point.

Lots of great info guys, I really appreciate it. I'm working through the handbook and it's a great resource. Learning something new every day! Cheers!🍷

I agree, there is no consistency, meaning if you make a great batch you'll never be able to recreate it, more importantly, the risk of a bad strain is also a possibility, not to mention the benefits that premium yeasts can bring out of your wine won't be present in the wild yeast.
I look at it like this, enough above average/premium grapes needed to make 30 gallons of wine can range from approx $1000.00 to over $3000.00......yes there are grapes that run $295.00 per lug! With the investment that I make each season, I don't want to leave it to chance.

Think I finally nailed/captured/got a good Wild ferment/have one going though...Mandarin/peach more of wine/semi-Mead....hoping I didn't just rack too early...Threw in mashed up, and start/vigorous fermentation on day 2....was some really bad smells but that cleared up by late day 3/4...day 4/5 fermentation slowed a little but said hell with it and got the fruit off... don't think going another 2-3 days or longer with it would of done much hoping anyways/risk more rotting/bacteria/off flavors.....so locked up tight/air lock gonna let it go with it see how it does xD,

I previously tried a Pineapple one but that was just BAD/foulest effing thing/smell from the beginning....Not sure Bacteria/yeast problem or what but it was Fing bad....but this one is smelling pretty amazing even already... its not consistent at all apparently. I'm a noob though So I don't know...lol

I've heard that peach can smell like vomit during fermentation, although I have no actual experience with fermenting peach, I have made a tropical Melomel that didn't have any off odors during fermentation.

I've heard that peach can smell like vomit during fermentation, although I have no actual experience with fermenting peach, I have made a tropical Melomel that didn't have any off odors during fermentation.

Yeah kinda was like Vomit/****...that first little bit when fermentation really got going/a little after..if you whiffed airlock you could fall over, I'm serious its effing awful you know? lol
Its so much better now...I don't know now just kind of a laid back sweet/yeasty smell?....It's got a **** load of sugar/tad bit of syrup/honey....see how far its going to go lol

It's going steady as hell dude....The Foam/Krausen is really starting to get thick its worrying me....I left enough headspace I hope...if not going to have airlock problem lol....I'm going to watch it close lol

To the OP. IMO, pick one of the Lalvin, Lallemand yeasts, whichever strikes you. Use it while you research your winemaking. Don't worry too much until you progress to using wine grapes/juice.

For me, it is still kits. I use the yeast that comes in the kit.

I hope that this helps.

Thanks for sharing this pumpkinman, it's a great resource! I've only had time to briefly skim the info, but I'm wondering if there's a retail source for these specialty strains & other products listed. I know my LHBS doesn't carry them & I haven't noticed them on any of the online HBS sites.
Regards, GF.

I don't know man, the Mandarin/Peach batch is back to smelling effing awful again still early though...just C02?...there's some foul looking brown/blackish ring/looking **** above krausen that just started forming too....I'm getting scared...and its back to smelling like that vomited sour peach/ and added old garbage....

Remind me never attempt anything with Peaches ever again...rofl

Latest posts

Back