Yeast starter - little activity after 36 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILMSTMF

Reaction score
EDIT - activity at 46 hours. See post in thread for details.

2 liters, Wyeast 1010 American Wheat. Foil on top of flask. Shaking leads to tiny bubbles floating to top and a very thin foam that all disappear quickly. At bottom of flask, there was some whiteish cloudiness after letting settle from 24 hours to 34 hours (no shaking over night). But looking now, bottom shows some dark seedy looking material.
Yeast manufactured on feb 2. Arrived two weeks ago and was precisely 5 months from mfr date the night I built starter with a 1/4 Tsp of nutrient.
Oh yeah, smacked the pack and let stand for over two hours. It never inflated.

Brew day hasn't happened yet for these reasons. Yeast dead? How much longer to wait if not? Pictures needed? Any insight appreciated, thanks.

Yes, dme. Thanks for tip on calculator. The one I use doesn't recommend the starter size so I just went with 2 liters based on past starters I've made. Your calc suggested 1 liter for each step. Too late for that now, oh well.
Any other advice appreciated, thanks.

That yeast is quite old was it shipped warm as well? Likely you have a very minimal amount of live yeast. I personally would just grab a new yeast from lhbs and pitch that instead. I'd rather spend the $7 and save myself from having to throw an entire brew away.

I would wait. I will step up bottle dregs and sometimes there is no visible activity for 3-4 days.

Yeast was shipped with ice pack which was still cool when I opened box.

Finally have a whiteish slurry and bubbles moving at 46 hours from initial build. Going to ride it out as long as bubbles are moving before crashing.

EDIT - During its prime, shaking the flask resulted in notable foam cap. At ~80 hours, activity has slowed, there is a... meh slurry but I'll take it. And now in the fridge for crash.

Thanks for advice!

Latest posts

Back