Yeast Starter for 2 Different Batches of Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunshinelock

Reaction score
I am new to homebrewing. I have done 2 extract kits and just spent a ton of money (it seems like) getting equipment to to all-grain brewing.

I'm at the point where I feel confident I have everything to start my first all-grain batch.

I just ordered an all-grain Cream Ale kit from here:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/cream-ale-all-grain-kit.html

I also ordered a bunch of grains and hops to do this HopSlam Clone: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/hopslam-clone-219599/

I noticed the yeast in both beers was the White Labs #WLP001 so I ordered a vial and skipped the yeast option in the kit.

I have read a few articles on how to grow your yeast, but am a bit apprehensive still about getting 2 different beers with this.

My plan is to grow a batch for the Cream Ale. Then while the Cream Ale is fermenting I would have a batch sitting idle until I have my fermenter freed up for the HopSlam Clone.

The clone says "Yeast Starter: 1 vial of WLP001, 1000mL stepped to 2000mL, stepped to 4000mL".

There will probably be about 2 weeks time in-between the Cream Ale and the HopSlam Clone.

Can I get some assistance on how I would accomplish this? Thanks.

Make a 2000ml starter for the Cream ale, but pour half of it off into a sterilized jar for a few days. Then when you are ready to start the yeast for the clone (10 days or so), decant most of the liquid from the jar, swirl up the yeast and use it to make the first step of the starter. Proceed with the next steps as planned.

Also, store the jar in the fridge, but let it warm up before pitching it into the 2nd starter.

Make a 2000ml starter for the Cream ale, but pour half of it off into a sterilized jar for a few days. Then when you are ready to start the yeast for the clone (10 days or so), decant most of the liquid from the jar, swirl up the yeast and use it to make the first step of the starter. Proceed with the next steps as planned.

This is exactly how I do all my starters. I take 1 vial and make a 2000ml starter, decant half into a sterile jar and cold crash it. When I'm ready to start my next brew, I decant all the spent liquid off the yeast and do another 2000ml starter and decant half off again. I have taken 1 vial of Belgian and 1 vial of Irish yeasts through 4 to 6 batches of beer. Saves a decent amount of money and I know what to expect from the yeast when I go to pitch it. :mug:

Back