Yeast selection and non pasteurization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheaty330

Reaction score
Hello,
I am going to be making a cider with Fresh pressed juice from a local orchard. The juice is unpasteurized and I’m curious if anyone has experience just pitching yeast straight into the cider without pasteurizing or using k-meta? My guess is that the pitched yeast will out number any wild yeast or bacteria. I plan on potentially adding k-meta and Sorbate after fermentation if I plan to back sweeten, so wanted to limit the use of these chemicals before adding yeast.
this is my first cider and either going to use belle saison or cotes de blanc. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I skip the chemicals and just add the yeast. I haven't used belle saison, but have used cotes de blanc and its OK.
I've had good luck with cider house select yeast and ferment in the high 50's.

Awesome. Just needed some reassurance! I’ve also contacted the orchard to see what their process is and how ‘sterile’ they keep the equipment, etc.

Back