Yeast Sank, No signs of fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicholasL

Reaction score
Hi There,

I pressed about 5 bushels of apples and got 15 gallons of cider that I put into 3 carboys. I added campden tablets, waited 24hrs then I added 2lbs of brown sugar per carboy and added Wyeast sweet Cider and Mead yeast. Its been about 36 hrs, and I dont see any bubbles in my fermentation locks, but I do see what looks like a yeast cake in the bottom of my carboys. Not sure if its all good, or cause for concern? Thanks for your help!

Please see photo
20200915_080421.jpg

This really could be a lot of different things. What was your initial hydrometer reading, after adding the sugar? Has it changed since then? Is there any activity in the airlock? At what ambient temperature is the cider being stored? Were the yeasts stored properly before use? Here are some things to consider:
  • Check the ambient temperature. If it's too cold, the yeasts will be sluggish, and not want to eat. If it's too hot, the yeasts might die off.
  • Check the sugar levels. It could be that there's not enough sugar in the solution for the yeast to eat. Brown sugar, light brown sugar, white sugar, and honey all act differently.
  • Consider adding a yeast nutrient. Sometimes this can give the yeast the boost it needs to get started.
  • If the yeast was improperly stored (or shipped) before use, it could be your yeast was already killed off. You could try adding a different (or more) yeast to see if it takes off. You could also start a separate batch of yeast in a jar with some sugar as a "starter," and add it to the carboys. It might coax the other yeasts, if they're alive, into action.
Good Luck!

This really could be a lot of different things. What was your initial hydrometer reading, after adding the sugar? Has it changed since then? Is there any activity in the airlock? At what ambient temperature is the cider being stored? Were the yeasts stored properly before use? Here are some things to consider:
  • Check the ambient temperature. If it's too cold, the yeasts will be sluggish, and not want to eat. If it's too hot, the yeasts might die off.
  • Check the sugar levels. It could be that there's not enough sugar in the solution for the yeast to eat. Brown sugar, light brown sugar, white sugar, and honey all act differently.
  • Consider adding a yeast nutrient. Sometimes this can give the yeast the boost it needs to get started.
  • If the yeast was improperly stored (or shipped) before use, it could be your yeast was already killed off. You could try adding a different (or more) yeast to see if it takes off. You could also start a separate batch of yeast in a jar with some sugar as a "starter," and add it to the carboys. It might coax the other yeasts, if they're alive, into action.
Good Luck!
Thanks for your reply,

OG was 1.070 after I added 2lbs of light brown sugar to each 5 gallon carboy. I added yeast nutrient and peptic enzyme to each carboy as well. The Gravity reading hasnt changed and theres no signs of fermentation. Its being stored at 68 degrees which is supposed to be right for Wyeast 4184. I gave the carboys a good shake to see if that might help. I've read this yeast is finicky and slow to start, could that be it?

Airlock activity does not equal fermentation. A poor seal can create a small leak that bypasses the airlock. Airlock activity is not simply fermentation, but the displacement of gas in an inclosed environment. The fermentation must create enough gas to displace the headspace. Amongst other things, this has to to with temperature and pressure of gas (Boyles law?). If fermentation is slow and temperature is low, this can sometimes result in a slow fermentation that does not create enough pressure to activate the airlock.

when this happens, CO2 may be in suspension and can smother the yeast. Give the carboys a good swirling and add yeast nutrients if available.

I've had a couple of sluggish starts. I gave them a good stir (power drill attachment) and raised the temp a few degrees. It worked.

When I was stirring, I also gave the yeast some encouragement. I think I said "Wake Up You Lazy Bastards, You've Got Work To Do!" Come to think of it, that could be what made the difference.

Back