yeast ring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimsubong

Reaction score
Today I was racking my beer and I couldn't really get all the yeast out of the carboy. There was that little ring of yeast at the top of the beer-line. Anyways, I want to put it back into this carboy so it doesn't do secondary in one of those plastic buckets. Does anyone have tips for getting this out of here? Will it even matter if I just leave it in? I'm a lazy and poor college student, so I don't have access to a drill and one of those brushes. I'd like to avoid soaking it if possible, so I can finish racking it back into the carboy this afternoon.

You can't be lazy with sanitation. If I understand correctly, you racked from a carboy to a bucket. So your objective was to leave behind the yeast and trub, right? And I assume you rinsed that out of the carboy and now you have the typical ring around the carboy?

If so, then you need to soak/scrub that carboy until it is literally spotless and then sanitize it. Anything else, and you're very likely dooming the batch.

I never use the drill brush...just soaking and elbow grease...also buy another carboy ;)

Remember you rinsed it out so it became un-sanitized at that point. Also, do you have it sealed or open to the air right now? No way I'd put my beer in an unsanitized carboy. YMMV. Cheers! :D

kimsubong said:
Today I was racking my beer and I couldn't really get all the yeast out of the carboy. There was that little ring of yeast at the top of the beer-line. Anyways, I want to put it back into this carboy so it doesn't do secondary in one of those plastic buckets. Does anyone have tips for getting this out of here? Will it even matter if I just leave it in? I'm a lazy and poor college student, so I don't have access to a drill and one of those brushes. I'd like to avoid soaking it if possible, so I can finish racking it back into the carboy this afternoon.

That's what a carboy brush is for! I use a little OxyClean mixed in with about three gallons of water, then in goes the brush and I start scrubbing away. It really doesn't take that long, and if the crud is close to the top of the carboy then sometimes the bottle brush is a good tool as well.

Once I scrub it out really well with the brushes, I dump it and rinse it four or five times, using a few gallons of clean water. I dry the outside and then invert it and let it drip dry in the dish strainer before putting it away. Before I use it the next time I inspect it to make sure it's still clean, rinse it once with a couple of gallons of clean water, sanitize it using iodophor, then rack into it, cap it and forget it.

Back