Yeast recommendations please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robusto

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I'm about to brew up a 20 gallon batch of orange blossom traditional. Going to shoot for 14-15% abv and then going to barrel age it in a once used bourbon barrel. I typically use ec1118 for traditionals and k1v1116 for fruit meads. I settled on these two a while ago after trying ever yeast under the sun. I was going to use ec1118, let it take it dry then back sweeten to taste, but I got to thinking that I may be missing out on something. Is there a better yeast to use? Have heard good things about Lalvin 4x4. What are your thoughts?
Thanks

I'm not a fan of EC-1118, but that's a personal thing. K1V is actually great for traditionals, at least when fermented at warm enough temps that it isn't kicking out esters. I recently started using D47 for my traditional meads though and it has been quite excellent. Very fast fermenter, keeps the flavors well preserved, and a slightly chardonnay-like mouthfeel. The downside is its narrow temp range (59-68F). I haven't used 71B but many people swear by it, and 4X4 seems to have a lot of promise.

Thanks! Its funny, when I started making mead 15 or so years ago D47 was everyone's darling now the crowd has been singing the praises of 71b... I just never had good results with them.

Do you know what happens if you ferment D47 below 59°? My fermentation chamber runs at 52°f for lagers.

Thanks

Most yeasts won't ferment below their minimum temperature, so most likely you'll see zero activity for D47 below 59F.

I like both EC-1118 and D47.

D47 for my fruit meads has been excellent, quick fermentation (~65 - 68 degrees F) little ester tastes. I was not as big a fan of it in my traditional, I will probably go back to EC-1118 for those, as there was a bit of esters in my latest batch that just added an odd aftertaste to it.

EC-1118 was my go to for years, I like that it is very clean (again in that 65-68 F range) and ferments very quickly.

Neither yeast stays in suspension for long, and generally clears very well in a matter of weeks.

Videojunkie- thanks! I've had good luck with Ec1118 too. Never had any luck with D47, but my fermentation chamber is at 52°, and my house is usually under or over its min/ max temps. Now for instance, most of my house is 68-72, and the garage is 48-53.... so no luck

I've definitely had d47 ferment cider at lower temperatures(Just leave it in the shed). I wasn't really paying attention to fermentation speed however.

I also have had excellent results with D-47. I have tried it once very cool at 51 degrees, just to see and it is very slow. Once warmed up to 60 degrees it took off like a rocket. At 64 to 65 degrees it performs very well for me. The meads come out very nice so I keep using it. I really need to try other strains to compare.

John

Wyeast 1388 would be a great choice, especially with an OB honey. Check out the BOMM thread (It's a sticky) as every single page is worth a read. If you are unable to keep the temps below 80 degrees F, I would suggest Hothead, Hornindal or Voss Kveik as they are clean and fast. You will get different flavor profiles fro the aformentioned yeasts but none of them are nasty. D47 is disgusting unless you have temp control to keep it cool and 71B while a good choice, will take longer to age even with a TOSNA or BOMM protocol.

Back