Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenatibrewer

Reaction score
i just completed a hoegaarden clone a couple of days ago. i used white labs belgain wit 400 yeast and it has been really going pretty well. it is approx 66 to 67 degrees where the beer is fermenting. today i went down and the krausen head is about 3" and looks good. the only thing is the smell coming from the airlock??? it does not smell sweet like beers i have recently done. do you guys/gals think it is infected or does that particular stand of yeast give off a "funny/not so good" smell? let me know your thoughts, thanks.

I haven't used that strand of yeast, but I have had some funky smelling primaries. I wouldn't worry about it. The smell always goes away for me after racking into a secondary.

whats sitting in the airlock? i use vodka or starsan so i cant smell much through it. Let it be and you will know in the end if it got contaminated. theres really nothing you can do at this point

I used that yeast and although I can't say I remember any funky smell, I can say it made for a tasty beer! Nothing to do but wait and see. Hope it turns out well.

thanks for all the input. starsan is in the airlock. i guess it does make since that a wheat beer would have a funky smell. i will wait and see. i will update this thread with all the results....happy brewing!!!!

Back