Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlinner

Reaction score
Yeast question:

Long story short, I made a starter this past Friday from some yeast that I had propagated weeks ago and could not brew yesterday due a bad gas regulator on the “Brew Magic”.

My question is, if I want to brew this coming weekend can I just leave the starter as is or do I need to poor of the spent wort and put the yeast back into the vials?

It’s about 8 – 12 vials of yeast.

Cheers,
John

EDIT: Damn, HB99 beat me too it, and much more concisely. Here's the longwinded version.

No ned to try and stuff it into vials...too much risk of cotamination, and no upside. It'll do just as well in your starter vessel.

I'd seal it up and refiregate it as is (might want to release the pressure every day or so, just in case). A day before you want to brew, pour off most of the spent wort and pitch the remaining yeast into another small amount of starter. That way you'll be at high krausen when you want to pitch into your batch, and you'll get a nice fast start.

If you don't want to mess around with another starter, you could just refrigerate the existing starter as above, pull it out of the fridge on brew day, pour off the excess liquid and let the yeast warm to pitching temp. Then pitch when ready (you can use some of your boiled/cooled wort to resuspend and rinse the yeast out of the starter vessel, if needed. You'll get a slower start this way, but should still be fine.

I dont usually even do that. I had a nice starter made from extra light DME and i just swirled the yeast into suspension and pithced the whole damn thing. each fermentor is bubbling nicely right now.

Bike N Brew said:
EDIT: Damn, HB99 beat me too it, and much more concisely. Here's the longwinded version.

No ned to try and stuff it into vials...too much risk of cotamination, and no upside. It'll do just as well in your starter vessel.

I'd seal it up and refiregate it as is (might want to release the pressure every day or so, just in case). A day before you want to brew, pour off most of the spent wort and pitch the remaining yeast into another small amount of starter. That way you'll be at high krausen when you want to pitch into your batch, and you'll get a nice fast start.

If you don't want to mess around with another starter, you could just refrigerate the existing starter as above, pull it out of the fridge on brew day, pour off the excess liquid and let the yeast warm to pitching temp. Then pitch when ready (you can use some of your boiled/cooled wort to resuspend and rinse the yeast out of the starter vessel, if needed. You'll get a slower start this way, but should still be fine.
Dang, that is long winded...and I opnly READ it...:D ;)

Back