Yeast Nutrient Addition explosion!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan Hassey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, i made my first batch of mead yesterday. I was following the staggered nutrient addition process. When I went to add my first addition (24 hours) the must foamed like crazy all over the place. I was wondering if there is a way to reduce that? Also, when/how do you recommend de gassing the mead. Thanks!

Yup... when you add any particulates (or even anything with microscopic sharp edges) you nucleate gasses in liquids. That means that you allow those gases to collect around those particles or points and that means that those gases can form larger and larger bubbles and that means that those large bubbles can rise to the surface pushing ahead hundreds and hundreds of bubble diameter sized columns of liquid that then rifle through a carboy neck (can paint your ceiling it has so much kinetic energy) or simply froth and foam above the lip of a bucket staining your floor (depending on how full your bucket is). The secret is to either ensure that there is no CO2 saturating the mead or wine OR you completely dissolve any particulates you plan on adding OR there is enough headroom in your fermenter that nucleation is not a problem...

Back