Yeast nutriant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertmoore460

Reaction score
I'm following a recipe for strawberry wine and the recipe calls for yeast nutrients, and fermaid -K separately
I thought they were the same.
Can any tell me what the difference is?

Yeast nutrient is a generic term. Fermaid-K is a specific blend of yeast nutrients. I don't know what your recipe's writer intended, but if you post the recipe for context, someone might be able to make a recommendation.

Not only is nutrient a generic term, "Fermaid" apparently is as well, as there are at least two companies selling nutrients named "Fermaid".
Frankly I do not believe any of them is appropriate or helpful in brewing beer from malted grain. They all seem to be for either wine or cider or other fruit-based fermentation efforts where they deal with a whole different set of issues from beer brewing with malted grains...

Cheers!

Not only is nutrient a generic term, "Fermaid" apparently is as well, as there are at least two companies selling nutrients named "Fermaid".
Frankly I do not believe any of them is appropriate or helpful in brewing beer from malted grain. They all seem to be for either wine or cider or other fruit-based fermentation efforts where they deal with a whole different set of issues from beer brewing with malted grains...

Cheers!

Do you mean there are multiple manufacturers making nutrient blends and marketing them as Fermaid? Or the one manufacturer makes multiple blends under the Fermaid line? -O, -K, etc.

Ooops, it looked like there was a second company.
Google put "Scott Laboratories" at the top of the 'fermaid' hit list with a "FERMAID K" that actually turned out to be by Lallemand.
So Lallemand makes FERMAID A, FERMAID AT, FERMAID K and FERMAID O for wines and FERMAID C for ciders.
That's a lot of DAP :)

Cheers!

Ooops, it looked like there was a second company.
Google put "Scott Laboratories" at the top of the 'fermaid' hit list with a "FERMAID K" that actually turned out to be by Lallemand.
So Lallemand makes FERMAID A, FERMAID AT, FERMAID K and FERMAID O for wines and FERMAID C for ciders.
That's a lot of DAP :)

Cheers!
Lallemand is a Scott's Labs brand name.

I was just looking at Wyeast nutrient. It has organic nitrogen. Are there any of these that dont have pee in them? I dont want to add pee to my beer because, well, that defies the whole point of my existence as a beer drinker.

I'm following a recipe for strawberry wine and the recipe calls for yeast nutrients, and fermaid -K separately
I thought they were the same.
Can any tell me what the difference is?

i ferment plain sugar water fine with just a HUGE yeast pitch....so if the topic of yeast nutrients gets to far out, i'd just buy a 500g brick of wine yeast and pitch like 1/2 cup of it.....

Back